From: g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu (George C. Harrison, Norfolk State University)
Subject: Re: Ada compilers for Education Use
Date: 10 May 91 10:59:24 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <22551@shlump.lkg.dec.com>, brett@tle.enet.dec.com (Bevin Brett) writes:
> We see a lot of uninformed comment [and some informed comment] in comp.lang.ada
> about the need for "a free Ada compiler for universities".
>
> What most of these authors don't realise is that some compiler vendors such as
> DIGITAL [for whom I work] have VERY substantial discounts on their Ada
> compilers when sold for educational use.
>
> So you should call your local sales rep for the company that you wish to buy
> from and find out whether he is going to charge you $200 or $2000 or $20000
> for that Ada compiler you want to buy AFTER YOU HAVE TOLD H[IM|ER] that you
> are an educational site.

I ditto this remark.  I've worked with Ada since 1985 and with VAX Ada since
1987.  The price is wonderful for educational institutions.  With an
educational discount and the price of media and docs, we have trained many
successful Ada programmers and software engineers.

VAX Ada's ACS (Ada Compilation System) is ideally designed for group projects
supporting quality configuration management.

Digital's commitment to educational institutions may be equaled by some
companies, but it certainly is not surpassed.

YES... I'd like to see a free Ada compiler for higher education, but Ada
demands quality.  I'm not convinced that the government can produce the same
quality of compiler as is produced in the commercial world; the motivation is
totally different.  I want MY students to learn how to be software engineers
with the best tools available.

George...

-- George C. Harrison                              -----------------------
----- Professor of Computer Science                -----------------------