* [GNAT:GLIDE] Failure to compile
@ 2001-02-07 19:46 aschw1309
From: aschw1309 @ 2001-02-07 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Environment:   GNAT-3.13p-sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1-bin
               Solaris 2.5.1 on Sun
               emacs-20.6
               glide-3.13p

I'm trying to compile a project from Rational using GNAT/GLIDE.
I have a script which does a transitive closure of the Rational
directories to build a project (.adp) file, and another script
to go through the project file to build a configuration (.adc)
file - mapping all *.1.ada to specs and all *.2.ada to bodies.

During a build the following occurs:

  - An error with the first withing statement in main says that
    it can't find the all references in the with closure. I made
    sure that all references exist and that all directories are
    in the project file (.adp) and all mappings are in the
    configuration file(.adc). Any idea what I can do about
    this? It kills the build.

  - One of the Rational libraries has a terminal '_' which
    is rejected by GNAT. (/.../standard_.1.ada). Any idea
    if there is a workaround or should I just delete the
    reference and hope for the best. (Maybe move it to a
    'tame' directory and rename it to 'standard.1.ada' or use
    a link or some such.)

  - When loading GLIDE I get the following errors:
    scratch buffer
    '** reference to free variable ada-contextual-menu-last-point

    and in the mini-buffer
    Symbol's value as variable is void: ada-contextual-menu

    I think that I can figure out what they mean but I don't
    know enough about emacs/eLisp to fix it. I have been told
    that the professional release has this fixed but at the
    moment am unable to get it. It seems to be more an annoyance
    than problem but I would like to fix it if I can.

art
Sr. Engineeer
General Dynamics Land Systems
schwarza@gdls.com

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

* Re: [GNAT:GLIDE] Failure to compile
@ 2001-02-07 19:57 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-02-07 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <95s8lp$b4$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  aschw1309@my-deja.com wrote:

> During a build the following occurs:
>
>   - An error with the first withing statement in main says that
>     it can't find the all references in the with closure. I made
>     sure that all references exist and that all directories are
>     in the project file (.adp) and all mappings are in the
>     configuration file(.adc). Any idea what I can do about
>     this? It kills the build.

The actual text of the error message (and the line it referrs to) might
be helpful.

>   - One of the Rational libraries has a terminal '_' which
>     is rejected by GNAT. (/.../standard_.1.ada). Any idea

Standard is a predefined Ada package that is supposed to come with all
compilers, not some custom Rational package. You should certianly not be
trying to compile any of Ada's predefined packages, as Gnat has its own
versions (anyway, its illegal).

Probably your best bet is going to be to not compile *any*
Rational-supplied packages. Any errors you get due to missing facilities
should be handled on a case-by-case basis.

--
T.E.D.

@ 2001-02-08 18:13 ` Greg Bek
From: Greg Bek @ 2001-02-08 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

aschw1309@my-deja.com wrote in message <95s8lp$b4$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>Environment:   GNAT-3.13p-sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1-bin
>               Solaris 2.5.1 on Sun
>               emacs-20.6
>               glide-3.13p

>  - One of the Rational libraries has a terminal '_' which
>    is rejected by GNAT. (/.../standard_.1.ada). Any idea
>    if there is a workaround or should I just delete the
>    reference and hope for the best. (Maybe move it to a
>    'tame' directory and rename it to 'standard.1.ada' or use
>    a link or some such.)

Package Standard is the "magic" Ada package that provides a context
within which all Ada units are compiled.  Standard contains the definitions
of such things like: Integer, Natural, Float, Character, Wide_Character,
Ascii etc.

All compilers have Standard somewhere, but not always as source code.
Rational delivers Standard as source code with Apex, but it does have that
special
file name, so that you can use the normal browsing commands etc. to see
the declarations in the package.

Similarly, you shouldn't try to compile the Apex Text_Io source with GNAT,
instead
use the Text_Io that comes with GNAT.

As a basic rule, you should not migrate anything under the lrm.ss,
predefined.ss,
rational.ss subsystems.

Greg