* sequential IO package, recieving error "Actual for "File" must be a variable"
@ 2001-02-08  2:29 arcele
From: arcele @ 2001-02-08  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

in my program using the sequential_io package i am recieving the error
"Actual for "File" must be a variable" for this line

71.      seq_io.close(old_file);

i have instantiated sequential_io to be seq_io and declared

32.  old_file : seq_io.file_type;

at the same time i am not recieving the error for every command for example
i have one line that reads

74.     seq_io.close(new_file);
and
89.      seq_io.read(old_file, current);

so i'm assuming that the variable old_file does exist, and is fine, but that
i have done something else wrong,
any help with this program would be appreciated, thanks, Ryan

* Re: sequential IO package, recieving error "Actual for "File" must be a variable"
@ 2001-02-08  4:07 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-02-08  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <95t1iu$6it$1@slb6.atl.mindspring.net>,
  "arcele" <unhuh@hotmail.com> wrote:

> any help with this program would be appreciated, thanks, Ryan

You need to show the whole program, and preferably cut down!

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

* Re: sequential IO package, recieving error "Actual for "File" must be a variable"
@ 2001-02-08  4:24 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2001-02-08  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

arcele wrote:

> in my program using the sequential_io package i am recieving the error
> "Actual for "File" must be a variable" for this line
>
> 71.      seq_io.close(old_file);
>
> i have instantiated sequential_io to be seq_io and declared
>
> 32.  old_file : seq_io.file_type;

Is it possible that the name Old_File at line 71 does not refer to the
variable Old_File declared at line 32? Possibly at line 71 you are
referring to a subprogram parameter of mode in, which would hide the
declaration at line 32. A mode in parameter is a constant and cannot be
passed to Close (in out), but can be passed to Read (in).

--
Jeff Carter
"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"