From: KK6GM <mjsilva@scriptoriumdesigns.com>
Subject: Re: Ada to C translator for small microcontrollers
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 10:56:34 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-03-28T10:56:34-07:00	[thread overview]

On Mar 28, 9:36 am, Niklas Holsti <niklas.hol...@tidorum.invalid>
wrote:
> On 12-03-27 23:13 , kalvin.n...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > tiistaina 27. maaliskuuta 2012 20.22.07 UTC+3 an...@att.net
> > kirjoitti:
> >> Full language translators are mostly used to move a project away
> >> from one language to another more accessable language. So, why use
> >> Ada in the first place.
>
> Because it is so much better than C, of course :-)

That is the crux of the matter.

> > Is it only a one
> > person prjoect, two person project or project involving a small team.
> > Why bother with Ada as we already have (free) C compiler avaiable.
>
> We also have a free Ada compiler available, for many platforms -- but
> not for many small processors, I grant.
>
> But many projects developing in C for microcontrollers use non-free,
> commercial compilers, IDEs, and other expensive tools (in-circuit
> debuggers, etc.) The question IMO is not whether there is a benefit from
> using the Ada language; the question is if the benefit can be
> convincingly quantified in money and schedule terms.

The free vs not-free issue should not be discounted.  People who would
be open to trying Ada on small platforms need to be able to get it
into their hands easily.  Free now to help make the sale, pay later
for support.  It would be fabulous, IMO, if the SofCheck Ada->C
product would be made available in some free form.  I know I would
start using it immediately, and start trying to convert my
organization to Ada.  There is so much sub $5-$10 hardware now that
could run Ada code very effectively, but continues to be programmed in
C/C++ in part because of the intertia of the free or very low cost
compilers available.

> > If the project is a small one, and you don't have to share the code
> > with others, C is just fine.
>
> No! C is a like a Model-T Ford that for some strange reason is allowed
> on modern roads. You can survive and not be too uncomfortable on short
> trips, but you should really consider changing to a better car.

"The 1980s will probably be remembered as the decade in which
programmers took a gigantic step backwards by switching from secure
Pascal-like languages to insecure C-like languages. I have no rational
explanation for this trend."  -Per Brinch Hansen

I can only agree wholeheartedly.