From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Using Xt intrinsics with Ada?
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 21:07:00 GMT
Date: 2001-01-31T21:07:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <959oeu$s8g$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:

> I'm missing something here. XtAppMainLoop never returns to the caller.
> How exactly are you planning on getting the sockets serviced? Are you
> saying that you hooked a socket servicing routine into an X event
> somehow? If so, exacty how?

Ahh. Can I assume that you are using XtAppAddInput to attempt to get it
to process incomming data on a socket as an X input?

In that case, I'd definitely try to get this working in C before Adding
Ada to the mix. If you get the same error in C (most likely you will),
you can remove "Ada" from your question and the newsgroups list and ask
again. I don't like to put the word "Ada" anywhere near an OS library
question, as lots of folks seem convinced that all OS libraries have
some super-special code that scans binaries to magicly figure out what
source language they were compiled from, so that they can misbehave if
that language wasn't C. :-)

One caveat that caught my eye in the docs for XtAppAddInput was the
following:

---------------------
...you should be careful not to close the end of the socket that is
waiting before exiting XtAppMainLoop().  If you do this, you will get an
infinite loop, in which the callback is called repeatedly, while the
Intrinsics wait for an EOF to be read.

I wouldn't be shocked if this, or a similar problem, was the cause of
your troubles.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com