* Looking for Information on Symbolized Search Trees
@ 2000-04-22  0:00 James Kerr
From: James Kerr @ 2000-04-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yeh I am looking for any books or information on Symbolized Search trees, I
need to find information on the concepts, advantages and disadvantages, any
help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

James

* Re: Looking for Information on Symbolized Search Trees
@ 2000-04-22  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-04-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <956391873.399710@karri.southwest.com.au>,
  "James Kerr" <jkerr@southwest.com.au> wrote:
> Yeh I am looking for any books or information on Symbolized
Search trees, I
> need to find information on the concepts, advantages and
disadvantages, any
> help would be greatly appreciated.

The term is by no means a standard one (looking it up in the
index of several standard algorithms books yielded null) so
you might want to elaborate the question.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Looking for Information on Symbolized Search Trees
@ 2000-04-23  0:00   ` James Kerr
From: James Kerr @ 2000-04-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I guess I am looking for information on Tree data structures then, I the
same as you had no luck looking through the internet, so I guess it is up to
the tree data structure, with advantages and disadvantages, I have a few
references, but would be good to get as many as i can.

cheers

James

@ 2000-04-23  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-04-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <956453655.636707@karri.southwest.com.au>,
  "James Kerr" <jkerr@southwest.com.au> wrote:
> I guess I am looking for information on Tree data structures
> then

Well it is perfectly straightforward to find information on
tree data structures, in any text book, and yes, you can find
tons of information on the internet.

It was the strange word Symbolized that struck me. There is
no such word in english as far as I know, and additionally
as far as I know, it has no standard technical meaning, but
perhaps there is one that I don't know about. On the other
hand, perhaps it is just an odd slip of language, and you
meant symbolic, or symbol, both of which would have made
perfect sense.

Anyway, if you are looking for general information on tree
structures, this is not the newsgroup to look in, since there
is nothing Ada specific. Of course you can find sample Ada
code for implementing tree structures in any of the standard
Ada repositories if that is what you are after.

@ 2000-04-23  0:00       ` James Kerr
From: James Kerr @ 2000-04-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Basically it is an assignment that I have been given, and before anyone goes
of saying do it yourself, I am, but whenever you do any assignment it is
good to get some references and basic knowledge on what it is the assignment
is about.

Okay for anyones interest, a symbolized search tree is an abstract data type
that implements a mulitway tree, where balance conditions are not
appliciable.

The symbolized part means it uses symbols as its data, IE. for our
assignment the symbol list is made up of the ASCII character set, so
basically we are plugging in valuse such as: a, J, &, * etc etc.

Anyway the assignment is going along okay, there are still a few things i
need to work out, and still haven't decided which procedures i am going to
do iteratively and which ones I am not.

One quick question away from the above mentioned stuff, If I have a
procedure declaration such as

procedure Test (Array1: in out array_type;
                            Result: out Integer) is

if i want to call the procedure recursively from in itself then the value
for result that i may have already calculated will be of no use as result is
only being passed out and not in??

any help would be appreciated

@ 2000-04-27  0:00 ` Cam Hodge
From: Cam Hodge @ 2000-04-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yea I got this assignment too..

BWAHAHHAHAHAHa

@ 2000-04-27  0:00         ` Cam Hodge
From: Cam Hodge @ 2000-04-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Correct. You would need to change the Procedure to Result : In Out Integer,
but hey the assignemnt says that the specifications cannot change.

@ 2000-04-28  0:00           ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2000-04-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Cam Hodge" <vampyre@ozemail.com.au> writes:

> Correct. You would need to change the Procedure to Result : In Out
> Integer, but hey the assignemnt says that the specifications cannot
> change.

Use a nested subprogramm with an appropriate profile instead.