* where is a gnat 3.11 rpm for linux
@ 2000-03-11  0:00 William A. Hinkle
From: William A. Hinkle @ 2000-03-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Searched high & low but I can't find it anywhere...

* Re: where is a gnat 3.11 rpm for linux
@ 2000-03-11  0:00   ` Juergen Pfeifer
From: Juergen Pfeifer @ 2000-03-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes. More precisely: I'll drop it when 3.13p becomes available.
I'll also drop support for glibc-2.0 based distributions for 3.13,
so you should upgrade to a glibc-2.1 based system if you want
to use gnat-3.13p when it becomes available.

J�rgen

@ 2000-03-11  0:00   ` Mike Dimmick
From: Mike Dimmick @ 2000-03-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@mail.utexas.edu> wrote in message
> "William A. Hinkle" wrote:
>
> > Searched high & low but I can't find it anywhere...
>
> http://www.gnuada.org/rpms.html
>
> But take note of the "We will drop support for them in the near
future."

That's a little misleading.  The full story is:

GNAT 3.12p has been released, and RPMs for this release have been built
for glibc-2.0 and 2.1.  Basically any v5+ release of Linux (any
distribution, they do tend to follow similar version numbers) should be
using glibc-2.x.

The support being dropped appears only to be for version 3.11.

--
Mike Dimmick

* Re: where is a gnat 3.11 rpm for linux
@ 2000-03-11  0:00     ` Mike Dimmick
From: Mike Dimmick @ 2000-03-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Juergen Pfeifer" <juergen.pfeifer@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Yes. More precisely: I'll drop it when 3.13p becomes available.
> I'll also drop support for glibc-2.0 based distributions for 3.13,
> so you should upgrade to a glibc-2.1 based system if you want
> to use gnat-3.13p when it becomes available.

This is at least one user who would prefer it if you didn't.

My reasoning is this:  my Linux system runs RedHat 5.2, which is
glibc-2.0.  I don't trust the new kernel 2.2 releases at all.  Not an
inch.  I'm providing services to other people on our LAN on this server,
so I'm trying to get as little down time as possible.  But I need to
ensure that any Ada programs I write will truly cross-compile to a
Unix-like machine before I submit them.

Likewise I would like to ensure that my development tools are recent as
hopefully (n_bugs_fixed > n_bugs_introduced).

--
Mike Dimmick

* Re: where is a gnat 3.11 rpm for linux
@ 2000-03-11  0:00 ` Bobby D. Bryant
From: Bobby D. Bryant @ 2000-03-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William A. Hinkle

@ 2000-03-11  0:00     ` Bobby D. Bryant
From: Bobby D. Bryant @ 2000-03-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike Dimmick wrote:

> The support being dropped appears only to be for version 3.11.

That's true, but it *was* the 3.11 RPMs that he asked for.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

* Re: where is a gnat 3.11 rpm for linux
@ 2000-03-14  0:00 ` William A. Hinkle
From: William A. Hinkle @ 2000-03-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, I guess my search engines/clauses failed me - everything seemed to
lead me to a dead end at ACT.  Also, sorry I "stirred the pot" on an
apparently touchy subject - but all the feedback was informative and
appreciated.

* Re: where is a gnat 3.11 rpm for linux
@ 2000-03-15  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-03-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article
<xuiz4.514$KK.39661@bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
  "William A. Hinkle" <whinkle@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Thanks, I guess my search engines/clauses failed me -
everything seemed to
> lead me to a dead end at ACT.  Also, sorry I "stirred the pot"
on an
> apparently touchy subject - but all the feedback was
informative and
> appreciated.

Nothing touchy here that I am aware of, and I see nothing in
the thread that could be interpreted that way!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: where is a gnat 3.11 rpm for linux
@ 2000-03-15  0:00       ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2000-03-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Mike Dimmick" <mike@dimmick.demon.co.uk> writes:

> My reasoning is this:  my Linux system runs RedHat 5.2, which is
> glibc-2.0.  I don't trust the new kernel 2.2 releases at all.  Not an
> inch.  I'm providing services to other people on our LAN on this server,
> so I'm trying to get as little down time as possible.  But I need to
> ensure that any Ada programs I write will truly cross-compile to a
> Unix-like machine before I submit them.

You can always keep 3.12p and glibc 2.0 if you want to.  Or you can
hire someone who ports future GNAT versions for you.  Or perhaps the
"official" ACT version works for you.

Personally, I don't care about glibc 2.0 any longer. 2.1 has a few very
important new features (such as proper pseudo TTYs, which are essential
on a multi-user system; and internationalization), and I think it's
fair to push people towards it.

* Re: where is a gnat 3.11 rpm for linux
@ 2000-03-15  0:00         ` Bobby D. Bryant
From: Bobby D. Bryant @ 2000-03-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florian Weimer wrote:

> "Mike Dimmick" <mike@dimmick.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> > My reasoning is this:  my Linux system runs RedHat 5.2, which is
> > glibc-2.0.  I don't trust the new kernel 2.2 releases at all.  Not an
> > inch.  I'm providing services to other people on our LAN on this server,
> > so I'm trying to get as little down time as possible.  But I need to
> > ensure that any Ada programs I write will truly cross-compile to a
> > Unix-like machine before I submit them.
>
> You can always keep 3.12p and glibc 2.0 if you want to.  Or you can
> hire someone who ports future GNAT versions for you.  Or perhaps the
> "official" ACT version works for you.

Since he already has a version running, can't he just download the source (or
RPM sources) for any new versions that come out, and build them on his own
system?  Or did some GNAT internal code have to change with the library
change?

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

From: Florian Weimer @ 2000-03-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@mail.utexas.edu> writes:

> > You can always keep 3.12p and glibc 2.0 if you want to.  Or you can
> > hire someone who ports future GNAT versions for you.  Or perhaps the
> > "official" ACT version works for you.
>
> Since he already has a version running, can't he just download the source (or
> RPM sources) for any new versions that come out, and build them on his own
> system?  Or did some GNAT internal code have to change with the library
> change?

The compiler itself should be unaffected, but the GNAT runtime library is
an entirely different story because it expects a certain but undocumented
or underdocumented behavior of the underlying libc and kernel interfaces.
In addition, there might be interoperability problems with the remaining
parts of the GNU toolchain (i.e. binutils).

* Re: where is a gnat 3.11 rpm for linux
@ 2000-03-16  0:00           ` Juergen Pfeifer
From: Juergen Pfeifer @ 2000-03-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> Florian Weimer wrote:
>
> > "Mike Dimmick" <mike@dimmick.demon.co.uk> writes:
> >
> > > My reasoning is this:  my Linux system runs RedHat 5.2, which is
> > > glibc-2.0.  I don't trust the new kernel 2.2 releases at all.  Not an
> > > inch.  I'm providing services to other people on our LAN on this server,
> > > so I'm trying to get as little down time as possible.  But I need to
> > > ensure that any Ada programs I write will truly cross-compile to a
> > > Unix-like machine before I submit them.
> >
> > You can always keep 3.12p and glibc 2.0 if you want to.  Or you can
> > hire someone who ports future GNAT versions for you.  Or perhaps the
> > "official" ACT version works for you.
>
> Since he already has a version running, can't he just download the source (or
> RPM sources) for any new versions that come out, and build them on his own
> system?  Or did some GNAT internal code have to change with the library
> change?

Yes, as it looks now, the RPMs for 3.13p can be bootstraped with the RPMs for
3.12p on a glibc-2.0 system. The reason that I'll drop support for the glibc-2.0
based systems is, that it just takes me too much buildtime and resources to
maintain it and some of the coming exciting new stuff like jgnat should really
be used only on glibc-2.1 because java2 will only run on that with native thread
support.

J�rgen