* Re: Ada Videos
@ 1995-01-27 23:47 Mike Kamrad
From: Mike Kamrad @ 1995-01-27 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

At  6:22 PM 1/27/95 -0500, Anthony Gargaro wrote:
>Dear Mike-
>
>I agree with you completely. Someone should mention this point at the
>forthcoming Ada Dual Use Workshop. Unfortunately, due to an intense work
>schedule I shall not be at the workshop or I would volunteer to do so.
>
>Anthony.

Thanks for the support and I'll will be attending the Workshop next week.
In a subsequent private response to my message, Paula sent the following
message that puts a whole diffent light on this message.

Mike
----------------
Mike,

No offense taken, but concern that I wasn't clear.  The cost is each country's
organization to make masters from which that can make tapes to be distributed
at cost or less.  The price is our cost to have them made because of the
special PAL format.  The U.S. tapes, which will be available from Chris will
NOT cost $100!

paula

Mike Kamrad                             612 921 6908
Computing Devices International         FAX 612 921 6165
M/S BLC W3T                             kamrad@cdev.com
8800 Queen Avenue South
Bloomington MN 55431-1996

* Re: Ada Videos
       [not found] <199501280052.TAA19547@felix.seas.gwu.edu>
@ 1995-01-28 11:02 ` Lars Asplund
From: Lars Asplund @ 1995-01-28 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear All,

Unfortunately the standardization of television signals are _not_ so
good. VHS is the format of the casettes, but PAL is the colour system.
PAL is used in Europe, except for France, where they have a third system
(of course). The French system SECAM is not compatible with all the
others.

PAL (Phase Alternating Lines) is a development of NTSC (Never The Same
Colour) ;-)

I'll make a poll with some of the Ada-organisations in Europe as well as
the board of Ada Europe. It is probably best to have Ada Europe take care
of the European market.

/Lars

Lars Asplund                      Datoradress:        asplund@docs.uu.se
Uppsala universitet               URL:    http://www.docs.uu.se/~asplund
Institutionen f Datorteknik       Telefon hem:                018-315371
Box 325                           Telefon till arbetet:       018-183527
                                  GSM (text)                 0705-933628
751 05  UPPSALA                   Telefax:                    018-550225

* Re: Ada Videos
@ 1995-01-28 17:49 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1995-01-28 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

conversion these days incidentally is inexpensive, you should be able to
get a store to do it for under $30. I bought a converting VCR recently
for only $600 which works fine (I don't mean just a multi-system VCR, I
mean one that reads PAL tapes and in real time generates a converted
NTSC output signal).

* Re: Ada Videos
       [not found] <9501272209.AA13531@inmet.camb.inmet.com>
@ 1995-01-29 15:24 ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1995-01-29 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9501272209.AA13531@inmet.camb.inmet.com>,
Paula Fleming  <paula@INBOX.CAMB.INMET.COM> wrote:

>PAL format beta SP masters (for professional duplication) will cost $100 U.S. +
>shipping and handling for the CEO version,  and $125 + shipping and handling
>for the CTO PAL master if we have them made now with our regular run.  If you
>wanted to get them later it will cost $200 for the CEO and  $250  for the CTO +
>shipping and handling.
>
>If you want your own masters please fax me a purchase order by Friday, February
> 3,  at 617-868-2843.
>
>thanks
>paula fleming

This post got a fair amount of flaming on various mailing lists, I
think this needs some clarification:

The above post is aimed at the European Ada folks, NOT folks in the
US.  Chris Anderson of the Ada 9X Project Office posted a comment
indicating that approximately 3000 FREE copies will be distributed
through the United States (In the NTSC video format, which is what we
use in the US).  Visit your local SIGAda institution.

--
      Frustrated with C, C++, Pascal, Fortran?  Ada95 _might_ be for you!
	  For all sorts of interesting Ada95 tidbits, run the command:

* Re: Ada Videos
@ 1995-01-30 14:21 Mike Kamrad
From: Mike Kamrad @ 1995-01-30 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

At  7:52 PM 1/27/95 -0500, Michael Feldman wrote:

>> Mike
>> I am having 3000 made which will be distributed freely or at postage and
>>handling costs. What Paula is referring to is that organizations that would
>>like to
>> have their own master to make lots more are welcome to do so for the prices
>> she quoted. We thought that perhaps some of the local SIGs and Ada groups
>>overseas might like masters. Our budget can not supply the world.
>> Chris
>
>Yes, I can see this for the PAL format, I guess. For the VHS format,
>why should most people not just get one of the 3000 and copy it, instead
>of buying a master. ONLY if the master is of significantly higher quality
>does this make any sense at all.
>
>A key question here is whether at least one, and preferably a quantity
>(dunno, a dozen or so) can be available for showing and possible
>(targeted) giveaway at ACM Computing Week at the end of February.
>
>Mike Feldman

Mike,

Good idea about distributing copies during the ACM Computing Week
regardless of where they are supplied.

Mike