* Need advice on reverse engineering Ada program.
@ 2001-01-22 16:28 cptanpanic
From: cptanpanic @ 2001-01-22 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
I am currently employed in a job that has a 20,000 line Ada program
that they want to figure out everything it does in order to test, and
or replace.  What are some good software packages that can extract the
functionality out of the source?  I have already looked at the Rational
software package, and it seems to do this, anyone have any experience
with using it in the manner?  Or do you know of something better?
Thanks,
Brian Wagener

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

* Re: Need advice on reverse engineering Ada program.
@ 2001-01-22 17:02 ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 2001-01-22 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

A tool like Rose might be nice....but at 20,000 lines ...unless is it poorly
written, it is pretty easy to figure it out on your own. In fact, with the
cost
of the Rational tools, if you do not already have a license, I suspect it
will not
be cost effective on such a small program.

Also look at
http://www.scitools.com/adapower_uada.html

I downloaded a demo once but I never really got a chance to try it out.

@ 2001-01-22 17:40   ` cptanpanic
From: cptanpanic @ 2001-01-22 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok as you are not as impressed by 20,000 lines of code, I could for
your guidance.  I have been given this task, yet I am a new programmer
right out of college, so I have no idea how to take on this task.  I
started doing a flow chart but this might take half of forever.  If I
am to do a functional analysis what is the best way to approach this?
Thanks,
Brian

In article <t6opqh303ub4aa@corp.supernews.com>,
  "Jeff Creem" <jeff@thecreems.com> wrote:
> A tool like Rose might be nice....but at 20,000 lines ...unless is it
poorly
> written, it is pretty easy to figure it out on your own. In fact,
with the
> cost
> of the Rational tools, if you do not already have a license, I
suspect it
> will not
> be cost effective on such a small program.
>
> Also look at
> http://www.scitools.com/adapower_uada.html
>
> I downloaded a demo once but I never really got a chance to try it
out.

> <cptanpanic@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I am currently employed in a job that has a 20,000 line Ada program
> > that they want to figure out everything it does in order to test,
and
> > or replace.  What are some good software packages that can extract
the
> > functionality out of the source?  I have already looked at the
Rational
> > software package, and it seems to do this, anyone have any
experience
> > with using it in the manner?  Or do you know of something better?
> > Thanks,
> > Brian Wagener
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/