From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT: warning: source alignment....
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 16:14:23 GMT
Date: 2001-01-21T16:14:23+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <%Gla6.290393$U46.9219457@news1.sttls1.wa.home.com>,
  "DuckE" <nospam_steved94@home.com> wrote:
> A)  Does it make any sense to use a representation clause on
> a discrete generic type as above?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, depends on more context than
was shown here.

> B) Why should the source alignment be an issue here?

Alignment is always a potential issue in unchecked conversions
of pointers.

> C) I can only find alignment references to target objects -
> which part of the RM is this discussed?

Alignment is discussed in the RM, this particular warning is
not, warnings have nothing to do with RM rules!

> D) What can I do to remove these warnings?

Depends on the particular context, as with all warnings, you
are just being given some potentially useful information. It
is up to you to analyze whether the information is useful
in that it points up a real problem.

If it points up a real problem, then fix the warning, if it
does not point up a real problem, then suppress the warning
(that's a generic comment on all warning messages).

The warning is saying nothing more nor nothing less than it
says. It is just conveying information that may be helpful in
pointing out a potential error situation (in this case a
problem with incorrect alignments).

> As a regular contributor to comp.lang.ada you often
> contribute meaninful information to this newsgroup.  In this
> instance however, you did not.

Impossible to give more meaningful information without further
context. A detailed analysis of the particular situation in the
particular application is needed. Certainly I spend quite a bit
of time on such detailed analyses in other situations, but
detailed analysis of other peoples application problems is
outside the scope of what I contribute to CLA!

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/