From: amado.alves@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Symmetric matrices only!
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 08:55:02 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2008-04-18T08:55:02-07:00	[thread overview]

> "Moreover, the eigenvalues and vectors of
> nonsymmetric, non-Hermitian matrices have been removed because of
> potential
> computational difficulties." (Barnes)
>
> I have no idea what all this means, but it doesn't sound silly to me. (Adam)

Continues to sound silly to me (ok maybe not extremely;-) Yes for
certain matrices the eigenproblem is hard, but there are methods to
solve it satisfactorily for other certain matrices including large
ones e.g. the "power method."

And computing the determinant can also be very hard but the function
is there! To use with caution!--which approach should extend to eigen.

Hey, this reminds me, I think there is a way to solve eigen using
determinants, so problem solved... if I had the library in the first
place (GPL 2007 does not seem to have it)... arg!"#$%&/()=