From: brucej@hcx9.SSD.HARRIS.COM
Subject: Re: is this a bug of my Ada compiler
Date: 14 Oct 88 17:24:00 GMT	[thread overview]

> In the following sample code, I've been very surprised not to be warned by the
> compiler that the initial value for k was out of range:
>   procedure bug is
>   type T is range 0..255;
>   k: constant T := 16#FFE1#;
>  begin
>     null;
>   end bug;

The Verdix compiler typically does not elaborate static scalar constants.
The declaration in question merely inserts the constant `k' into the
compiler's symbol table. However, subsequent uses of the constant `k'
will be constraint checked against type `T'. In this example there are
no uses of `k'.

The new (1.10) version of the validation suite contains several tests
that enforce the requirement that constraint checks be performed on
constant declarations.  It's a good bet that this minor bug will be fixed
when Verdix validates VADS to 1.10.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Verdix, but for a computer vendor that
is the proud owner of a VADS source license. And yes, the 1.10 suite is
a real pain....

Bruce Jones, brucej@hcx1.harris.com
Harris Computers, Fort Lauderdale, FL