From: "Yannick Duchêne Hibou57" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr>
Subject: Re: Benchmarking
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:32:44 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2009-08-10T10:32:44-07:00	[thread overview]

On 10 août, 17:39, ravege <mhamel...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is there some optimization I
> should be turning on/off, some OS caching I can configure so I can get
> less variation in my testing?  I'm compiling with GNAT 20080521 build
> on Windows XP.

Ensure you do not have any other program running, stop any uneeded
processes, and run the program to test multiple times before you
retain any measures.

But this will still not be a more real measurement of anything,
beceause all the variations you may get in other context... are still
valid measures too.

You may think about question like : is the program to be executed
alone on a system ? Is it to be launched from time to time on a system
which is most of time busy to something else ?

Think about the execution context as a part of the stuff

Then, you've just tested on Windows XP, so be sure you will get
different result on an other system. Do not see it as a trouble. Each
system is focused on something specific, whih its own runtime
strategy, so if the efficiency of your application vary depending of
each system specific properties (and on the fly state), this is just a
normal thing.