* Profiling tool under WinNT ?
@ 1999-11-02  0:00 Herv� BITTEUR
From: Herv� BITTEUR @ 1999-11-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could someone recommend a profiling tool to analyze an Ada program
running under Windows NT. Something like a version of 'gprof' that would
run under Win98/WinNT ?
I'm using GNAT 3.12p on this platform.

Before jumping on any kind of blind optimization, I would like to figure
out where my CPU is actually spent ...

Thanks for any clue,
--Herve Bitteur

* Re: Profiling tool under WinNT ?
@ 1999-11-03  0:00 ` Geoff Bull
       [not found]   ` <01bf25cb$a5155250$022a6282@dieppe>
From: Geoff Bull @ 1999-11-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Herv� BITTEUR" wrote:

> Could someone recommend a profiling tool to analyze an Ada program
> running under Windows NT. Something like a version of 'gprof' that would
> run under Win98/WinNT ?
> I'm using GNAT 3.12p on this platform.

GNAT Professional has this tool (according to www.gnat.com):
gprof - produces an execution profile of a program.

I don't know whether it comes with the free version though.
It's not in 3.11p.

Cheers
Geoff

* Re: Profiling tool under WinNT ?
@ 1999-11-03  0:00 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1999-11-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <381EAC04.6FAEE337@alcatel.fr> Herve.Bitteur@alcatel.fr writes:

>Could someone recommend a profiling tool to analyze an Ada program
>running under Windows NT. Something like a version of 'gprof' that would
>run under Win98/WinNT ?
>I'm using GNAT 3.12p on this platform.

There is no gprof, but you might want to try using gcov.

--  Jerry van Dijk  | email: jdijk@acm.org
--  Team-Ada        | www:   stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk
--  Paris, France   | Leiden, Holland

* Re: Profiling tool under WinNT ?
@ 1999-11-03  0:00 ` DuckE
From: DuckE @ 1999-11-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't know where you can find a profiling tool for GNAT on NT but one is
included with ObjectAda Professional for NT.

I believe it is called a "statistical profiler" (but I'm no expert on
terminology).  It samples the program counter at regular intervals and
buffers the result.  When you stop the program, the profiler resolves the
program counters in its buffer against the system and produces a text file
listing how many hits in each procedure.

It's a useful tool.

SteveD

@ 1999-11-04  0:00     ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-11-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <01bf25cb$a5155250$022a6282@dieppe>,
Pascal Obry <pascal_obry@csi.com> wrote:

>Gprof has not been ported to NT yet.

The tool "gprof" works just fine on NT, so perhaps you're thinking about
gcrt?.o support for NT? If so, it's worked in Cygwin for a while, and
also works for Mingw (native windows32, so no 3rd party extras needed).

Here's some ChangeLog entries from Cygwin winsup:

Sun Aug 15 19:11:49 1999  Mumit Khan  <khan@xraylith.wisc.edu>

        * gcrt0.c (__eprol): Avoid namespace pollution.
        (_monstartup): Turn into a constructor function and prevent multiple
        invocations.

Fri Jul 16 15:09:50 1998  Stan Cox  <scox@cygnus.com>

        * (gcrt0.c, gmon.c, profil.c, mcount.c, gmon.h, profil.h,
           config/i386/profile.h): New files for gprof cygwin support.
          Some code contributed by Tim Newsham for Secure Networks, Inc.
        * Makefile.in (LIBGMON_A, GMON_START, GMON_OFILES): New for gprof.

With just a few very minor tweaks, it works for Mingw as well. Please
contact me directly if you need more information.

If you choose to use the gcrt0.o from Cygwin source distribution, linking
against it puts your code under GPL unless you buy a commercial license
from Cygnus of course.

Of course, whatever GCC backend you're using will have to have the
profiling support for x86-win32. Don't remember if went in 2.8.x
tree or not.

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: Profiling tool under WinNT ?
@ 1999-11-04  0:00       ` Herv� BITTEUR
From: Herv� BITTEUR @ 1999-11-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan

Thank you for your answer. However, I received rather inconsistent informations
about whether or not there is a working version of gprof for windows NT.
A careful reading of your answer tells me that there should be one.
Since GNAT now uses Mingw, I need a Mingw gprof. Is there an already built
version somewhere ? (I'm looking for a free version, sigh). Or should I try to
build it on my own ? Where could I get the needed source material ?

Thanks for any help.

--Herve

@ 1999-11-05  0:00         ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1999-11-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Note that Mumit said:

>> Of course, whatever GCC backend you're using will have to have the
>> profiling support for x86-win32. Don't remember if went in 2.8.x
>> tree or not.

And GNAT 3.12p is based upon gcc 2.8.1

@ 1999-11-08  0:00         ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-11-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)