* Good WinFWork 3.11 Programmers Editor.
@ 1994-12-13  4:36 Paul Hannah
From: Paul Hannah @ 1994-12-13  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am looking for a Windows programmers editor for coding in Ada, preferrably
free, but I am willing to pay up to a couple of hundred for a good one if
necessary.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

---------
Paul Hannah                                 E-mail: P.Hannah@cqu.edu.au
Mathematics Department                      Phone : 61 79 30 9969
Central Queenland University                Fax   : 61 79 30 9729
Rockhampton  QLD  4702  Australia

* RE: Good WinFWork 3.11 Programmers Editor.
@ 1994-12-15  5:50 ` srghsjm
From: srghsjm @ 1994-12-15  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

In Article <9412130437.AA13095@janus.cqu.edu.au>
Paul Hannah <P.Hannah@CQU.EDU.AU> writes:
>I am looking for a Windows programmers editor for coding in Ada, preferrably
>free, but I am willing to pay up to a couple of hundred for a good one if
>necessary.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks.
>
>---------
>Paul Hannah                                 E-mail: P.Hannah@cqu.edu.au
>Mathematics Department                      Phone : 61 79 30 9969
>Central Queenland University                Fax   : 61 79 30 9729
>Rockhampton  QLD  4702  Australia

You could try Winedit.  This is a shareware windows editor that came bundled
with Meridian AdaWindows V2.  It serves pretty well for most of the things I am
working on, although it is not "language sensitive" in the sense of DEC's
LSE.  There are hooks to allow the attachement of compilation, linking and
other such tools, and these hooks were "pre-loaded" in the version of
the Meridian compiler that we received.  The shareware registration fee
is or was $US59.95 plus $US9.50 shipping outside the USA.

The contact address from the manual is:

Wilson WindowWare Inc
2701 California Ave SW
Suite 212
Seattle, WA 98116
USA

As an alternative, I've just had Pfe (Programmer's File Editor) put on
my PC, and it seems to be pretty good too.  It is freeware, so the price
is right.  I have not had much of a chance to look closely at its
features, but it was able to withstand some pretty brutal testing I gave
it this morning.  A finely crafted piece of windows software !  I am
sorry, but I don't have an ftp address for it.  Archie may help.  Pfe
does appear to have hooks for compiler tools, but I'm not sure whether
you can coerce it to deal with Ada or not.  Has anyone tried ?

Stephen

| Stephen McNeill                       Phone   : +64-4-569 0180           |
| Image Processing Team                 Direct  : +64-4-569 0183           |
| Landcare Research New Zealand Ltd     FAX     : +64-4-569 0181           |
| Box 38-491                            Internet: srghsjm@gih.grace.cri.nz |
| Wellington Mail Centre                Omnet   : s.mcneill                |
| New Zealand                           Packet  : zl4hg @ zl4hg.wlg.nzl.oc |