* Ada (or others) to C
@ 1988-02-03 19:22 david j biesack
From: david j biesack @ 1988-02-03 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

We're interested in the problem of converting Ada code to C.
If anyone knows of any references, please send me mail; I can
post a summary if there's something to summarize.

Specifically, I'm looking at information about implementing Ada features
in C code, such as nested subprograms, dope vectors, exception handling,
etc.  I'm not worried about the parsing aspect - assume I'm already
working with an abstract Ada syntax tree.

Things like this *must* have been done before... I'd welcome info
on translating other languages (Pascal, Modula) to C as well.
I've heard that some compiler companies started their implementations
by generating C code as an intermediate step - references to such work
would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks;
djb

                 ARPA:      biesack@ge-crd.arpa
Dave J. Biesack  UUCP:      {uunet|rochester|philabc}steinmetz!desdemona!biesack
                 Phone:     (518) 387-6847

* Re: Ada (or others) to C
@ 1988-02-04 20:48 ` Daniel F. Conway
From: Daniel F. Conway @ 1988-02-04 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> We're interested in the problem of converting Ada code to C.

The Irvine Compiler Corporation Ada compiler system does just this.  It
consists of an Ada front-end which translates Ada to C.  The result is
then compiiled and linked on the target computer.  Their address is:

  The Irvine Compiler Corporation
  18021 Sky Park Circle, Suite L
  Irvine CA 92714
  (714) 250-1366

> Things like this *must* have been done before... I'd welcome info
> on translating other languages (Pascal, Modula) to C as well.

A Pascal to C translator was posted to the net several months ago.

> Dave J. Biesack  UUCP:      {uunet|rochester|philabc}steinmetz!desdemona!biesack
>                  Phone:     (518) 387-6847

Dan Conway
Hewlett-Packard
3172 Porter Drive, Bldg. 29A
Palo Alto, CA 94304
hplabs!dan_conway

* Re: Ada (or others) to C
@ 1988-02-05 14:27 ` stt
From: stt @ 1988-02-05 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Irvine Computer Corporation (address unknown) is the
company which started out with an Ada to C translator.
I don't know whether the translator was ever validated,
but I do know that ICC has validated some number of Ada
compilers.
(They are presumably located in Irvine, CA)