From: CONDIC@PSAVAX.PWFL.COM
Subject: Let's cover this one more time...
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 15:35:40 EST
Date: 1994-11-16T15:35:40-05:00	[thread overview]

From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
Original_To:  PROFS%"SMTP@PWAGPDB"
Original_cc:  CONDIC

Fellow Ada Devotees:

I know this question comes up on a regular basis and generally
gets the contempt it deserves. However, I feel morally obliged to
ask it, because my boss was pretty insistent and in our present
climate of "rightsizing" and "outsourcing" I thought it best to
be viewed as cooperative.

    "Does anybody know of any automatic tools for translating
    Crappy Fortran code into even Crappier Ada code?"

We have a jet engine simulation that is very large and very old
and someone up the heap is looking for an economical way of
moving it from Fortran to Ada to be more compatible with our
engine control software.

To make it more interesting, how about thinking up instead, good
reasons why programmer performed module by module Adatran
translation is better than anything done by machine translation.
And then, go think up even better reasons why an ancient engine
simulation would be best reengineered into *real* Ada. Then go
one step further and give reasons why an engine simulation ought
to be engineered from the ground up with OOProgramming techniques
using Ada 9x.

You get extra points for lucid letters, putting a PhD after your
name or citing real or imaginary government studies. Bonus points
will be given for Creative Credibility or anything else that
helps me persuade the Senior Bozos that the real right thing to
do is rewrite the simulation in 9x.

Reply here to the INFO-Ada listserver or send it directly to me
at:
        CONDICMA@PWFL.COM

Thanks for your moral support...

Pax,
Marin

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-93                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   MDCONDIC@AOL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600
    "'Shut up,' he explained."