From: kanderso@mabillon.ICS.UCI.EDU (Ken Anderson)
Subject: Re: Easy ADA question from a hapless Newbie
Date: 25 Oct 94 21:07:47 GMT
Date: 1994-10-25T21:07:47+00:00	[thread overview]

In comp.lang.ada you write:

Hi Adam,

>Can anyone help me?

I'll give it a shot.

> Is there a way of ending a loop such as a while loop, etc, by jumping to the
> end of that loop.  There used to be a command in Pascal that would let you
> do this. I think it was something like stop. I know that halt stopped the
> entire program.

You are looking for the exit statement.

declare
   A : INTEGER := 1;
begin
  loop
     exit when A > 5;
     A := A + 1;
  end loop;
end;

This code will increment A until it is greater than 5 at which time
it will exit the loop.

Note, the when clause is optional. You could also right.

declare
   A : INTEGER := 1;
begin
  loop
     exit;
     A := A + 1;
  end loop;
end;

In which case A would never be incremented, although it doesn't make
sense in this code, there are situations where the exit statement
without a when clause is useful.

Hope this helps,

Ken

P.S.

>I'm new to ADA, used to PASCAL.

Just a quick comment, its Ada not ADA. ADA is an acronym like the
American Dental Association.

P.P.S.

One additional comment, not a criticism, but when sending text to a USENET
newsgroup be sure to type a return every 80 or so characters. This helps
those of us who have to read news on a VT100 terminal. :)
-Ken Anderson            Ken_Anderson@acm.org                       U.C. Irvine-
- "A knowledge of C is probably better than nothing." -- J.G.P. Barnes         -
-                 Finger kanderso@ics.uci.edu for PGP Public Key               -