From: Ken Garlington <73672.2025@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject: Calling DoD
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 1994 22:26:41 EDT
Date: 1994-09-14T22:26:41-04:00	[thread overview]

Gregory Aharonian <srctran@WORLD.STD.COM> writes on Tue, 13 Sep 1994 16:40:44

<< Step three would be to start calling everyone on the list and ask them
three questions: what language are you using, what is the expected number
of lines of code, and how much money is being spent on software development. >>

I don't know about the average DoD program, but I suspect whomever you called
on the F-22 program would not be keen to release that kind of data without a
good explanation of need-to-know. Also, not every program requires that the
Government get software development costs broken out from the total product
development effort (in fact, there's an ongoing battle to define what should be
counted as "software" development). Finally, what do you do when the guy on the
other end says "SLOCs? We don't use no stinkin' SLOCs! We use function
points/words/etc.

This doesn't sound like the kind of phone call that will generate meaningful
data in a couple of months...