From: patrick@spellingbeewinnars.org
Subject: Re: Which old version is best to use?  don't trust Adacore anymore
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 08:32:00 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2018-08-23T08:32:00-07:00	[thread overview]

Hi Mark and thanks for your post Dan'l !

It's not that I am missing a feature, it's just that I am tired of Adacore's games and I want to have independence from them. I feel like they are trying to make free Ada compiler options "demo-ware" for their expensive paid options.

As a few side notes, the older GMGPL code looks kinda scary with many patches applied to GCC in order for it to work.

The FSF version has a linking exception and would be fine if it wasn't so buggy.

I am looking at the Ada source code in vim with ctags and it is so well laid out and easy to follow along with. I doubt I am smart enough to do this alone(or have time) but I am wondering about starting a thread about how it works internally. If the thread grew and grew if could become a good tutorial to bring more people in. Maybe we could start maintaining GNAT independently of Adacore, I am sure the GCC people would not be opposed to patches.

As another side note, I am frustrated with Adacore but I don't want to direct any negativity at it's wonderful employees or the other GNAT writers who are no longer with us such as Robert Dewer.