From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: GNATCOM & Microsoft VB
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:58:50 GMT
Date: 2001-01-15T14:58:50+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <93tmsd$dr5$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Chris Miller <chrismil@my-deja.com> wrote:
> We are playing with ideas here for a new GUI front end to an existing
> Ada project. Many options.

I'm toying with the same thing for one of my Free Software projects.
However, I don't have access to VisualBasic. The option that's looking
most promising to me right now is to build it using the resource editing
tools in VisualStudio (which I *do* have), and link the compiled
resources into my executable. For the GUI stuff that can't be handled
directly through resources, right now I'm looking at using the GWindows
part of GnatCOM ( http://www.adapower.com/gwindows/index.html ). Its
sort of pre-beta right now, but its also Free Software, so for my free
project I have no problem with that. But for a commercial product you
may prefer something you can get paid support for. CLAW might be a good
option there.

For me, the biggest detriment to my proposed approach is that the
resource source files will require some non-free software in order to
edit. If anyone knows of a good Free GUI-builder for Windows resources,
I'd like to hear about it. (If not, this is another area where perhaps
an Ada-written program could make an impact outside of the Ada community).

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/