* reading file
@ 2001-01-09 21:57 Daniel Nilsson
From: Daniel Nilsson @ 2001-01-09 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.
I am a pretty unexperienced ADA programmer.
I want to write a mp3 player (doesn't have to be very optimized), and the
first problem I came across is that I don't know how to read the mp3 files,
and how shall I process the data read (a byte can take any value, even
non-ascii).

* Re: reading file
@ 2001-01-10  9:37 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-01-10  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001 22:57:04 +0100, Daniel Nilsson wrote:
>Hi.
>I am a pretty unexperienced ADA programmer.
                             Ada

>I want to write a mp3 player (doesn't have to be very optimized), and the
>first problem I came across is that I don't know how to read the mp3 files,
>and how shall I process the data read (a byte can take any value, even
>non-ascii).

?

I think you should look at Streams.

--
Preben Randhol ---------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
iMy favorite editor is Emacs!<ESC>bcwVim<ESC>

* Re: reading file
@ 2001-01-11 17:57 ` mark_lundquist
From: mark_lundquist @ 2001-01-11 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danielnilsson

In article <93g1bv$b5m$1@eol.dd.chalmers.se>,
  "Daniel Nilsson" <danielnilsson@REMOVE_THIShem3.passagen.se> wrote:
> Hi.
> I am a pretty unexperienced ADA programmer.
> I want to write a mp3 player (doesn't have to be very optimized),

MP3 player in Ada, sounds like fun...

Just out of curiosity... are you a "very experienced programmer" in
general?

> and the
> first problem I came across is that I don't know how to read the mp3
files,

Do you have access to a description of the MP3 file format?

> and how shall I process the data read (a byte can take any value, even
> non-ascii).

What specifically are you asking here?  The fact that you
mention "ascii" is a hint that maybe there's some misunderstanding, but
without more detail it's hard to tell.  Are you trying to figure out
how to represent a byte in Ada? If so... the predefined type for a byte
is Interfaces.Signed_8 or Interfaces.Unsigned_8, depending on whether
you want to do signed or unsigned math on it.  If you aren't going to
do any math on them, then it doesn't matter...

Ask more questions...

good luck
Mark

Sent via Deja.com