From: gpriv@axonx.com
Subject: Re: TIOBE Programming Community
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 19:47:16 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2007-12-15T19:47:16-08:00	[thread overview]

On Dec 15, 3:59 pm, Gautier <gaut...@fakeaddress.nil> wrote:
> In continuation to my previous post, if you set 3 language categories:
> compilable / script / other (mostly DB languages) you get a more meaningful picture:
>
> 1       Java            31.3%
> 2       C               20.5%
> 3       (Visual) Basic  15.9%
> 4       C++             12.3%
> 5       C#              6.2%
> 6       Delphi          4.2%
> 7       D               2.5%
> 8       Lisp/Scheme     1.3%
> 9       Pascal          1.2%
> 10      Fortran         1.1%
> 11      Ada             1.0%
> 12      Smalltalk       0.4%
> 13      Haskell         0.4%
> 14      Forth           0.3%
> 15      Erlang          0.3%
> 16      ML              0.2%
> 17      Scala           0.2%
> 18      Ch              0.2%
> 19      Factor          0.2%
> 20      ABC             0.2%
> 21      Icon            0.2%
>
> For those interested, I have made an Excel sheet where you paste the array from
> TIOBE's web site and get 3 lists with the ranking, name and reweighed rating for
> each category.
> Gautier         --http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/index.htm
> Ada programming --http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm
>
> NB: For a direct answer, e-mail address on the Web site!

Thanks for the effort:

I think this one looks more realistic. Now every reputable CS
department has to come up with their own language. That is why there
are so many simplistic, totally useless hello-world type of languages
that poor students are forced to use.

I wonder if someone analyzed what is used for mission-critical/life-
safety/embedded apps?  That would be closer to what for Ada was
designed for.  It will probably come down to C/C++ and Ada.  Now there
are talks about RT extensions in Java and C# also.

George