* gtk + gtkada shaky?
@ 2001-01-06 17:36 Jesse Farmer
From: Jesse Farmer @ 2001-01-06 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.  After running the test
application that came with gtkada, as well as messing with the version of
glade that came with gtkada, and running a few of the examples,  I came to
the conclusion that some of the interface is shaky/unstable.
Things I noticed included:
-buttons not returning to their original colour after the cursor had passed
over them
-scrolling taking a noticable time to update the screen
-certain controls leaving a sort of smearing across the screen as they were
moved

These aren't huge things, but they make a difference in the look and feel of
the interface.  When I tested the test program, using rapid clicks and
motions, similar to how end-users might use the program, I was able to
consistantly replicate several of these errors in multiple instances.

I'm wondering if code alone can correct for these types of errors, or if
these are problems inherent in gtk or gtkada.  Are there any applications in
which the gui was coded with gtkada that are worth checking out?

Thanks
-Jesse Farmer

* Re: gtk + gtkada shaky?
@ 2001-01-06 20:39 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-01-06 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <t5em0s96te5deb@corp.supernews.com>,
  "Jesse Farmer" <tujuggernaut@gmx.net> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.  After
running the test
> application that came with gtkada, as well as messing with
the version of
> glade that came with gtkada, and running a few of the
examples,  I came to
> the conclusion that some of the interface is shaky/unstable.

You should mention what system you are using ...
Also you will find it more effective to discuss these problems
on the GtkAda mailing list (consult the documentation)

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

* Re: gtk + gtkada shaky?
@ 2001-01-06 21:57   ` Jesse Farmer
From: Jesse Farmer @ 2001-01-06 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Win98 SE cleanly installed
on AMD Athlon 1ghz chip
256mb of pc133 ram.

Yes, thank you, this is something I will bring up on the GTK list.
-Jesse Farmer

Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> In article <t5em0s96te5deb@corp.supernews.com>,
>   "Jesse Farmer" <tujuggernaut@gmx.net> wrote:
> > I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.  After
> running the test
> > application that came with gtkada, as well as messing with
> the version of
> > glade that came with gtkada, and running a few of the
> examples,  I came to
> > the conclusion that some of the interface is shaky/unstable.
>
> You should mention what system you are using ...
> Also you will find it more effective to discuss these problems
> on the GtkAda mailing list (consult the documentation)
>

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

* Re: gtk + gtkada shaky?
@ 2001-01-07  0:39     ` Rajagopalan Srinivasan
From: Rajagopalan Srinivasan @ 2001-01-07  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using GtkAda on WinNt and Win2000 systems. While there may well be
rough edges (sometimes attributable to the base gtk package) by and large it
is hanging together great. IMHO this has the potential to be the killer
combo.

"Jesse Farmer" <tujuggernaut@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Win98 SE cleanly installed
> on AMD Athlon 1ghz chip
> 256mb of pc133 ram.
>
> Yes, thank you, this is something I will bring up on the GTK list.
> -Jesse Farmer
>
> Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > In article <t5em0s96te5deb@corp.supernews.com>,
> >   "Jesse Farmer" <tujuggernaut@gmx.net> wrote:
> > > I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.  After
> > running the test
> > > application that came with gtkada, as well as messing with
> > the version of
> > > glade that came with gtkada, and running a few of the
> > examples,  I came to
> > > the conclusion that some of the interface is shaky/unstable.
> >
> > You should mention what system you are using ...
> > Also you will find it more effective to discuss these problems
> > on the GtkAda mailing list (consult the documentation)
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

* Re: gtk + gtkada shaky?
@ 2001-01-07 15:06     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-01-07 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001 16:57:12 -0500, Jesse Farmer wrote:
>Win98 SE cleanly installed
 ^^^^^

Well here is your problem then. The GTK+ port for windows isn't so good
yet.

GTK+ is developed for Unix systems primarily Linux. I don't think there
is a 100% stable port to Wind*ws yet, but I could be mistaken.

--
Preben Randhol ---------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
iMy favorite editor is Emacs!<ESC>bcwVim<ESC>

* Re: gtk + gtkada shaky?
@ 2001-01-07 15:49       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-01-07 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article
<slrn95h1gu.fl.randhol+abuse@kiuk0156.chembio.ntnu.no>,
  randhol+abuse@pvv.org (Preben Randhol) wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Jan 2001 16:57:12 -0500, Jesse Farmer wrote:
> >Win98 SE cleanly installed
>  ^^^^^
>
> Well here is your problem then. The GTK+ port for windows
isn't so good
> yet.

Also, the emphasis has been on Win NT and Win 2K so far, where
we have been getting pretty favorable reports (few of our
users mess with Win98 at this stage, since we have found it
to be quite unstable for development purposes). After all
even Microsoft claims that Win2K is 14 times as reliable
as Win98 :-) [that's from a big recent advertising campaign]

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

* Re: gtk + gtkada shaky?
@ 2001-01-08 13:39         ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-01-08 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 07 Jan 2001 15:49:21 GMT, Robert Dewar wrote:
>to be quite unstable for development purposes). After all
>even Microsoft claims that Win2K is 14 times as reliable
>as Win98 :-) [that's from a big recent advertising campaign]

Hehe wouldn't you also claim that the new product is better than the old
;-)

--

@ 2001-01-08 15:47         ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-01-08 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <93a35v$lq4$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Also, the emphasis has been on Win NT and Win 2K so far, where
> we have been getting pretty favorable reports (few of our
> users mess with Win98 at this stage, since we have found it
> to be quite unstable for development purposes). After all

I'll support that. I've used it on a relatively complicated internal app
here. Running on Win2K and WinNT4, we noticed none of the problems the
Win9x user mentioned. It worked very well indeed (and this was a rev or
two ago). The GUI builder was a pretty buggy, but the generated GUI was
great. The only visual glitch I remember finding related to
multi-monitor support (and was fairly minor).

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

* Re: gtk + gtkada shaky?
@ 2001-01-09 13:51           ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-01-09 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Jan 2001 15:49:21 GMT, Robert Dewar wrote:
> >to be quite unstable for development purposes). After all
> >even Microsoft claims that Win2K is 14 times as reliable
> >as Win98 :-) [that's from a big recent advertising campaign]
>
> Hehe wouldn't you also claim that the new product is better than the old
> ;-)

Implicit in the claim is that Win98 is a P.O.S. And of course the same
people who brought you that were claiming you needed to scrap Win95 because
it had Y2K problems and was therefore also a P.O.S. Should we now believe
them that what they are bringing us in Win2k is somehow not going to be
discovered to be a P.O.S. in another couple of years?

MDC
Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

    "Giving money and power to Government is like giving whiskey
    and car keys to teenage boys."

        --   P. J. O'Rourke