From: resander <kresander@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Error when running gcc from GPS
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 03:41:05 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2010-04-25T03:41:05-07:00	[thread overview]

On Apr 24, 6:46 pm, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
> resander <kresan...@gmail.com> writes:

> >> No, it refers to gprbuild!

> (Caution: shameless plug ahead)
>
> These seem to be the executables installed by the Debian packages.  Are
> you using Debian or a derivative thereof?
>
> Your problems seem to be a bad installation of GNAT GPL; I suggest you
> either re-install GNAT GPL properly, i.e. following the installation
> instructions _to the letter_, or upgrade to Debian GNU/Linux "testing"
> (soon to be released as 6.0 "Squeeze").  Thanks to Stephen Leake, Debian
> now includes gprbuild and installs it properly.  All your problems would
> go away if you installed the following packages:
>
> gnat
> gnat-gps
> gprbuild
>
> You can do this with "aptitude install gnat gnat-gps gprbuild".
>
> (The entire purpose of a binary distribution like Debian is to ease the
> burden of installing and configuring software, so you don't have to
> troubleshoot such problems and can concentrate on your programming
> instead).
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

I am on Ubuntu 8.10 and have not used any other Linux.

I agree this is an installation problem, but I still don't know how to
fix it.

I downloaded GNAT GPL 2009 from Libre. I unpacked using the GUI
decompress program available from the Ubuntu menu and it ended up in
directory /home/ken/Desktop/gnat-2009-i686-gnu-linux-libc2.3-bin. I
used the doinstall script in this directory and gave the install base
direcory as /usr/gnat as suggested. Installation ran to completion
without errors and I added /usr/gnat/bin to the $PATH as the doinstall
script prompted me to do.

Result: I could enter the new GPS program, but it failed compiling Ada
and C with errors shown in my previous post.

I guess this has something to do with grpbuild. There is a gprbuild in
the old GNAT GPL 2008 install directory, but there are no gpr-related
files in the new install directory at /usr/gnat.

GNAT GPL 2008 is available via the Ubuntu Synaptic Package Manager (a
GUI front end for the commandline package manager) I used Synaptic. No
luck, still the same. I tried the commandline too by sudo aptitude
install gnat gnat-gps gprbuild and got message 'Couldn't find any
package whose name or description matched "gprbuild', so gprbuild is
not available via the repository used by ubuntu.

How do I install GNAT GPL 2009 on Ubuntu?