From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: Is JGNAT production ready?...
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 04:00:26 GMT
Date: 2001-01-07T04:00:26+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <3a57c6a8_2@news3.prserv.net>,
  "Andrzej Lewandowski" <lewandoREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote:

> Well, if both JGNATs are the same, what "support" means? They
> will be teachning me Ada?...

Helping people to understand some of the more difficult parts
of the Ada language as it relates to their applications is
indeed one part of the support services we provide (examples
are elaboration semantics and representation clauses, which
seem to cause particular difficulties in porting legacy code).

But that's only a very small part of our support services.
If you are interested in finding out more, feel free to visit
our web site, or correspond directly with our sales department.

If your application is non-critical, and you are comfortable
using unsupported software, then the public version may be
suitable for your use, but you seemed to imply that this was
a mission critical project, in which case our advice (which
we certainly follow ourselves) is to use supported software
wherever possible. The support services that we provide can
reduce risks and costs in a wide range of critical projects
using Ada.

We can also guarantee that you are working with the correct
version of the system and also provide and guarantee the
appropriate licensing information (that's not to say that
there are necessarily any problems in these regards with the
particular copy of the public version that you have, but we
cannot guarantee anything about the public version, since it
may not even be the same version we provided -- the open
source software arena encourages people to improve, repackage
etc and this has happened with various versions of GNAT in
the past).

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com