* Block diagrams for Ada code?
@ 2012-01-21 10:27 mockturtle
From: mockturtle @ 2012-01-21 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear.all,
I need to draw a "block diagram" overview of a fairly complex Ada code and I was wondering if there was some more or less "standard"  symbols to denote things like packages, tasks and protected objects.  The only thing that comes to my mind is UML, but maybe I would prefer something more Ada-specific.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Riccardo

* Re: Block diagrams for Ada code?
@ 2012-01-21 10:41 ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2012-01-21 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12-01-21 12:27 , mockturtle wrote:
> Dear.all,
> I need to draw a "block diagram" overview of a fairly complex
> Ada code and I was wondering if there was some more or less
> "standard"  symbols to denote things like packages, tasks and
> protected objects.  The only thing that comes to my mind is UML,
> but maybe I would prefer something more Ada-specific.  Any ideas?

HRT-HOOD has some graphical symbols for things like that. Google for it,
or see ciclope.fi.upm.es/display/docs/HRT-HOOD.pdf. For a design tool,
check http://www.ellidiss.com/.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd

* Re: Block diagrams for Ada code?
@ 2012-01-21 12:34 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2012-01-21 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

mockturtle <framefritti@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear.all,
> I need to draw a "block diagram" overview of a fairly complex Ada code
> and I was wondering if there was some more or less "standard"  symbols to
> denote things like packages, tasks and protected objects.  The only thing
> that comes to my mind is UML, but maybe I would prefer something more
> Ada-specific.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Riccardo

You could look out Ada Structure Graphs. These were big in the early 90's
and did a great job of describing Ada83 but I haven't looked them up since.
Did find this link:
http://www.threesl.com/pages/reference/diagrams/ada-structure-graph.php

-- Martin
--
-- Sent from my iPad

* Re: Block diagrams for Ada code?
@ 2012-01-21 15:31 ` Marc C
From: Marc C @ 2012-01-21 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 21, 4:27 am, mockturtle <framefri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear.all,
> I need to draw a "block diagram" overview of a fairly complex Ada code and I was wondering if there was some more or less "standard"  symbols to denote things like packages, tasks and protected objects.  The only thing that comes to my mind is UML, but maybe I would prefer something more Ada-specific.  Any ideas?

SciTools' "Understand" (http://www.scitools.com/index.php) product
does block and control flow diagrams, browsing, metrics, and just a
whole lot. It's been my "go to" tool when I've had the need to dig
into a legacy code base, including repositories of upwards of a
million SLOC. They have first class support for Ada, as well as the
other languages they support, and their technical support has been
amongst the best in the business from my experience.

It's probably priced to high for the average one man shop user at
$995, but a trial download (http://www.scitools.com/download) does
include a 2-week evaluation license.

Marc A. Criley
Ada sub-reddit moderator