From: eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene N. Miya)
Subject: Re: Typing Ada
Date: 25 May 88 16:49:21 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <12400974327.29.RCONN@SIMTEL20> RCONN@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Rick Conn) writes:
>By and large, I tend to agree with you.  The power of the workstations
>and the constantly-decreasing price/performance ratio along with the
>supporting graphics software and standards (still emerging) is making
>graphical software design and implementation more of a reality all the time.
>However, I still see a lot of people just plodding along with poor support
>budgets and 1970's technology.  Like the American society with its growing
>chasm between the rich and the poor, I think we may also have a growing
>software/technology chasm.  Ada may not be the last 1D language
>from that point of view.

By and large, it has been the experience of the people I know applying to
Ada jobs, that most contractors tend not to have fancy workstations yet,
even Macs are few and far apart.  These are major companies with 2 and 3
digit acro-names (not computer companies).  Bureaucracies still have vested
interest in the Departmental machine.  A friend just interviewed with
three Defense contractors in the LA area and decided to stay in Silicon
Valley on this basis.  The decentralized used of PCs and workstations
really challenges the centralized authority of lots of ex-military
organizations (companies, I already know about my employer).

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "Mailers?! HA!", "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {uunet,hplabs,ncar,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."