* RPC with ADA
@ 1993-07-28 22:20 cis.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!agate!overl
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!agate!overl @ 1993-07-28 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is my first post to this group.  I'm a new Ada software engineer and got
ahold of the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Toolkit software.  My job is to get
this puppy to work so that an Ada procedure on one computer can talk with
a server procedure on another computer.

The March 31 1988 Ada RPC software we have has several bugs in it.  I fixed
some of the bugs.

My current problem is this:

The RPC-session-client-run-time.adb source code expects the RPC_Transport_types
package to have two "+" functions, a "&" function, a "<" function, and a "=" fu
nction.
But our RPC_Transport_Types source code only has several "max" functions.  It l
ooks
like the RPC_Presentation_Types package uses some non-existant functions too.

Is there a later version of RPC available for Ada?  We're running SunOs 4.1.3 o
n our
SPARCstations and are using SunAda (ADE version 1.1).  If not, does anyone have
list of bug fixes they made to get this to work?

I'll take E-mail, as well as check this group for responses.

Thanks in advance!

---

Bill Martin
Naval Air Warfare Center
Code 3916(C2916)
China Lake, CA 93555-6001
-----

"When the steel sea conspires an armor, and her sullen currents breed
 tiny monsters, true sailing is dead." - J. Morrison

* Re: RPC with ADA
@ 1993-07-28 23:36 Kenneth Anderson
From: Kenneth Anderson @ 1993-07-28 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

In comp.lang.ada you write:

>This is my first post to this group.  I'm a new Ada software engineer and got
>ahold of the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Toolkit software.  My job is to get
>this puppy to work so that an Ada procedure on one computer can talk with
>a server procedure on another computer.

The Arcadia project has developed a system called Q which does just this.
Q was developed by Mark Maybee at the University of Colorado, Boulder.
Besides hooking up Ada programs, Q can be used to hook up C programs and
even Ada and C programs.

I am a happy user of Q.  I have used it to create peer-to-peer communicating
programs, as well as the traditional client-server model....

You may want to contact Mark about obtaining Q at markm@boulder.colorado.edu.

Hope this helps,

Ken Anderson