* SunAda 1.1 - Is Sun abandoning us?!!!!!!
@ 1993-07-28 20:35 John Rogers
From: John Rogers @ 1993-07-28 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sun has recently provided an upgrade to SunAda 1.1.  This new
upgrade is SunAda 2.0.  SunAda 2.0 is only being released on
Solaris 2.x.  Sun does not intend to provide any later releases
than SunAda 1.1 on SunOS 4.1.x.

We have recently found a problem that exists in SunAda 1.1 and
would like to have it fixed on SunOS 4.1.x because we are not in
the position of being able to migrate to Solaris for a few months
at best.  We are being told by Sun that there will be no more
releases on 4.1.x and that we should go to SunAda 2.0 (and thus
Solaris 2.x).

We would like to know if we are the only ones wishing to see a
new release of SunAda for SunOS 4.1.x.  Is there anyone else out
there?

Please respond if this policy concerns you!

John

* Re: SunAda 1.1 - Is Sun abandoning us?!!!!!!
@ 1993-07-28 23:26 Kenneth Anderson
From: Kenneth Anderson @ 1993-07-28 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

In comp.lang.ada you write:

>Sun has recently provided an upgrade to SunAda 1.1.  This new
>upgrade is SunAda 2.0.  SunAda 2.0 is only being released on
>Solaris 2.x.  Sun does not intend to provide any later releases
>than SunAda 1.1 on SunOS 4.1.x.

>We have recently found a problem that exists in SunAda 1.1 and
>would like to have it fixed on SunOS 4.1.x because we are not in
>the position of being able to migrate to Solaris for a few months
>at best.  We are being told by Sun that there will be no more
>releases on 4.1.x and that we should go to SunAda 2.0 (and thus
>Solaris 2.x).

>We would like to know if we are the only ones wishing to see a
>new release of SunAda for SunOS 4.1.x.  Is there anyone else out
>there?

The group I work with at UCI is facing this same situation.  In upgrading
SunAda 1.1 from SunAda 1.0, Sun broke PRAGMA Passive.  We told Sun that
we would like for them to fix PRAGMA Passive as our code uses it.  Sun told
us, well switch to Solaris, because we won't be fixing PRAGMA Passive until
SunAda 2.0.  We were able to obtain a beta copy of SunAda 2.0 and have
one machine (a Sun MP) here at UCI running under Solaris, so that we could
test our system under this new configuration. Guess what? The tasking
run time system is broken entirely and thus we can't even get our system
to execute correctly on the new configuration.

Part of the problem is that support for this compiler exists in a grey area
somewhere between Sun and Verdix.  We have experienced nothing but delays
and frustration in regards to this issue.

Currently, we make due with SunAda 1.1, while we wait for an update to
our beta copy of SunAda 2.0. (and the situation looks murky as to whether
or now we will even get an update...)

>Please respond if this policy concerns you!

Yes, this policy concerns us, and yes this policy is no good... (IMO).

>John

Ken Anderson

* Re: SunAda 1.1 - Is Sun abandoning us?!!!!!!
@ 1993-07-30  6:16 cis.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!sol.ctr.columbia.edu!news.kei.com!
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!sol.ctr.columbia.edu!news.kei.com! @ 1993-07-30  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

We are in a similar situation, with a substantial amount of code that
relies upon pragma passive (and other broken constructs, espeically
representation clauses).  My understanding is that upgrading to Solaris 2
will obsolete all of our third party tools.  We have a huge investment in
third party tools, including design aids, CM system, databases,
spreadsheets, word processors, . . .  This is the second time that Sun has
dropped support of a significant product line with insufficient lead time.

* Re: SunAda 1.1 - Is Sun abandoning us?!!!!!!
@ 1993-08-02 11:16 Paul Byrne
From: Paul Byrne @ 1993-08-02 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article AA03863@bunny.gte.com, rogers%stpmv6.dnet@gte.com (John Rogers) writ
es:

>Sun has recently provided an upgrade to SunAda 1.1.  This new
>upgrade is SunAda 2.0.  SunAda 2.0 is only being released on
>Solaris 2.x.  Sun does not intend to provide any later releases
>than SunAda 1.1 on SunOS 4.1.x.
>
>We have recently found a problem that exists in SunAda 1.1 and
>would like to have it fixed on SunOS 4.1.x because we are not in
>the position of being able to migrate to Solaris for a few months
>at best.  We are being told by Sun that there will be no more
>releases on 4.1.x and that we should go to SunAda 2.0 (and thus
>Solaris 2.x).
>
>We would like to know if we are the only ones wishing to see a
>new release of SunAda for SunOS 4.1.x.  Is there anyone else out
>there?
>
>Please respond if this policy concerns you!
>
>John

As I understand the situation SUN will continue supporting SunAda1.1
ie issueing patches etc. However, there will be no new releases of
SunAda on Solaris 1.x.

Paul

---

These opinions are my own, etc.....
Paul Byrne				British Aerospace Dynamics Ltd
email Paul.Byrne@def.bae.co.uk		FPC 450
					P.O.Box 5, Filton
Phone 0272 316086			Bristol, BS12 7QW