From: MMC/CS 609-338-2922/8-794-2922 <ASTARR@CAYMAN.VF.GE.COM>
Subject: RE: 2167A Questions
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1993 20:47:35 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

>Date: 21 Jul 93 20:01:59 GMT
>From: agate!howland.reston.ans.net!darwin.sura.net!source.asset.com!vand@ucbva
x.Berkeley.EDU  (Laurence VanDolsen)
>Subject: Re: 2167A Questions

>In article <1993Jul21.143352.17146@newshost.lanl.gov> hines@paloverde.lanl.gov
 writes:

>In article 26847@sctc.com, aldrin@sctc.com (John Aldrin) writes:
>> ...  The concept of what the definition of CSU's, CSC's and
>>CSCI's are somewhat vague.  I was hoping those of u who have dealt with
>>this standard may be able to provide good definitions of CSU's, CSC's and
>>CSCI's.
>
>Anyway, we intend to shoot towards the new standard rather than tie ourselves
>in knots with 2167A. Our approach will be to "tailor 2167A towards the new sta
ndard"
>(whatever that means).
>>>Mr Van Dolson's response to the above was good - I add my 2
cents.

CSCI/CSC/CSU:
1.  Look at CSCI/CSC/CSU like Book/Chapter/Paragraph.  You
declare something a paragraph because it has sentences which
convey a thought; chapters are groupings of paragraphs addressing
some aspect of a theme; the book addresses the entire theme.  Your
chapter may be my book - there is no *right* answer.
2.  When defining CSCIs, think about how you are going to be
doing configuration management (documenting changes, bumping up
rev levels, etc).  If you have defined 2 CSCIs and think
modifying one will almost always require modification of the
other, they should probably be merged.
3.  For a DoD job, it is better to *err* with too few rather than
twoo many CSCIs - CSCI documentation is a major cost driver.
4.  If you are working Ada, many people declare a package to be a
CSC and procedures to be CSUs.  For a DoD job, you often have to
report progress at the CSC level so it is important to group CSUs
or you'll get in a tight loop writing progress reports on why
you are late because you are always writing progress reports.
5.  When declaring a CSC, plan on testing all its CSUs at the
same time.  This should save you a lot of drivers and stubs.

2167A:
1.  Agree that it is a pretty good framework for guiding projects
- but it must be intelligently tailored to your project.
2.  If your customer thinks Moses brought 2167A down on a second
set of stone tablets, find a good sector mutual fund that
concentrates in pharmaceuticals - look for holdings in
manufacturers of Maalox, Aspirin, etc.
3.  2167A requires traceability of requirements to CSUs.  Type 1
customers require this; Type 2 customers go for the CSC level.
Everyone should have a Type 1 customer so they appreciate Type 2.
One of the purposes of requirements allocation is to establish
the basis for test plans.  Test Plans/Procedures are usually
written to test CSCs rather than CSUs  It's similar to trying to
understand the significance of a paragraph - you normally need to
read the chapter to find out the significance of a paragraph and
whether the paragraph hits its mark.

Allen L. Starr, Martin Marietta Corp/Communications Systems/AE-2E
One Federal Street, Camden, NJ 08102  astarr@carib.vf.ge.com
phone:  609-338-2922; fax: 609-338-4686