* FAQ on Ada products/bindings
@ 1993-06-29  2:42 Kenneth Anderson
From: Kenneth Anderson @ 1993-06-29  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

About two weeks ago, I posted an announcement stating that I was
volunteering to maintain a FAQ on Ada products and Ada bindings.  My
announcement was, I realize now, not specific enough, as I only had
two people respond to the announcement.

In order to get this FAQ off the ground, I need two things from the
readers of comp.lang.ada.

1. Questions
2. Answers to the Questions

One of my respondents submitted the following questions:

Q: How can I get the POSIX 1003.5 Ada binding?
   If a vendor does not have it, can I still get the specification
   for my own purposes?

Here is my current build plan for the FAQ:

   1. If you have a question for the FAQ, send it to me at kanderso@ics.uci.edu
.
   2. Once I have received a batch of questions, I will post them to
      comp.lang.ada.
   3. People who have answers to the questions can then respond.
      (I would appreciate it, if you would cc me on the response)
   4. Once I have compiled a set of questions and answers to the questions,
      I will post the FAQ to comp.lang.ada once a month.

Thanks in advance,

Ken Anderson

P.S. Anyone have an answer to the questions above?

* Re: FAQ on Ada products/bindings
@ 1993-06-29 13:00 Jim Lonjers
From: Jim Lonjers @ 1993-06-29 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9306281942.aa03793@Paris.ics.uci.edu> kanderso@mabillon.ICS.UCI.EDU
 (Kenneth Anderson) writes:

>One of my respondents submitted the following questions:
>
>Q: How can I get the POSIX 1003.5 Ada binding?
>   If a vendor does not have it, can I still get the specification
>   for my own purposes?
>
>P.S. Anyone have an answer to the questions above?

1. How can I get the POSIX 1003.5 Binding?
   To get the POSIX Ada Binding Standard (IEEE Std 1003.5-1992), call the
   IEEE at 800-678-IEEE (within the US), or 1-908-981-1393 (outside the US).

   To get a POSIX Ada Binding Implementation, contact your Ada vendor.
   There are some individuals and companies that have built some prototype
   implementations.  I will wait until they post their contact
   information.

2. Can I still get the specification for my own purposes?
   You may get the specification in paper form.  See #1 above.  You will
   soon be able to get the specifications in electronic form.  The IEEE is
   working out the details at the moment (copyright notices, etc.)  I will
   post information about obtaining them as soon as they are available.

How about one more question:

3. What POSIX Ada standards are on the horizon?
   The IEEE POSIX Ada Standards Working Group (IEEE WG1003.5) is currently
   working on an Ada POSIX Real Time Standard with an anticipated
   completion in 1994.  This standard is based on IEEE 1003.4.  It is
   expected to be followed immediately by a standard based on 1003.4a.

Well, one more:

4. Can I influence the content of these standards?
   Public participation in the development of these standards is welcomed.
   To participate, contact Jim Lonjers, lonjers@vfl.paramax.com,
   805-987-9457.

Jim Lonjers
Chair, IEEE WG1003.5

P.S.  I was under the impression that a FAQ was already in development for
this group.  Dave Emery (Mitre Corporation) has put together a set of POSIX
Ada questions and Answers.  The information above is a slight update based
on recent events.

* Re: FAQ on Ada products/bindings
@ 1993-06-29 14:40 pa.dec.com!e2big.mko.dec.com!jac.nuo.dec.com!digits.enet.dec.com!brett
From: pa.dec.com!e2big.mko.dec.com!jac.nuo.dec.com!digits.enet.dec.com!brett @ 1993-06-29 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9306281942.aa03793@Paris.ics.uci.edu>, kanderso@mabillon.ICS.UCI.ED
U (Kenneth Anderson) writes...
>In order to get this FAQ off the ground, I need two things from the
>readers of comp.lang.ada.
>
>1. Questions
>2. Answers to the Questions
>Ken Anderson

Doesn't the AdaIC have such a list already available?

/Bevin

* Re: FAQ on Ada products/bindings
@ 1993-06-29 17:52 Michele L. Kee (AdaIC)
From: Michele L. Kee (AdaIC) @ 1993-06-29 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

 (Kenneth Anderson) writes:
>About two weeks ago, I posted an announcement stating that I was
>volunteering to maintain a FAQ on Ada products and Ada bindings.  My
>announcement was, I realize now, not specific enough, as I only had
>two people respond to the announcement.
>
>In order to get this FAQ off the ground, I need two things from the
>readers of comp.lang.ada.
>
>1. Questions
>2. Answers to the Questions
>Ken Anderson

There appears to be some confusion over what type of FAQ Ken Anderson
had volunteered for.

>In a previous message, Ken Anderson writes:
[Subject: Ada products/bindings FAQ setup - posted 9 June 93]

>>In a previous message, Michael Feldman writes:
>>
>>Another approach is to create an FAQ list to which people could send
>>reviews of Ada-related software products and bindings. Maybe if we
>>work REALLY hard at it, we could even make this newsgroup such a forum.
>>Then the good stuff could get put into an FAQ by some willing volunteer.

>I would like to volunteer to maintain a FAQ of this sort.  As I have never
>done this before, I am open to suggestions about the management of this
>FAQ.
> Ken asks questions on how to set up an FAQ...

The Ada Information Clearinghouse is currently maintaining a *general*
comp.lang.ada FAQ.  It is available for downloading via anonymous FTP
from the AJPO host (ajpo.sei.cmu.edu) from the public/comp-lang-ada
subdirectory as files cla-faq1 and cla-faq2.  It was last posted to
comp.lang.ada and news.answer on June 4, 1993.  It includes questions
on POSIX and bindings (See Q&A 18, 22, and 23).

But as Mike said we can't really get into the business of reviewing
products -- many people may want specialized FAQs and FAQs with
personal evaluations of products.

If our data can be of any help to anyone, please feel free to use it
or to call us with questions.
--
Ada Information Clearinghouse (AdaIC)		|  IIT Research Institute
703/685-1477, 800/AdaIC-11, FAX 703/685-7019	|  operates the AdaIC for