From: cjames@DSC.BLM.GOV (Colin James 0621)
Subject: First Ada Software patent issued to Air Force
Date: 7 Mar 93 03:07:33 GMT
Date: 1993-03-07T03:07:33+00:00	[thread overview]

Some of the issues raised by Gregory Aharanian require the experise of a
patent lawyer to answer (which I am not).  However, there are many good
reasons not to advertise a patent application.  For example, often before
a first action by the Patent Office (PO), the issue arises as to whether
to apply for foreign patent protection as well.  In the case of Nippon
Telephone & Telegraph (NT&T), a large non-USA producer of Ada code, such
advance notice could be important.  While virtually anyone can see the new
applications as they come in, including NT&T, many things can happen
between the time of the application and the first action.

Aharonian should also have done some more homework.  While reproducing the
patent abstract was a tedious task undertaken with some time involved which
I appreciate, finding out what the USAF requires for a license fee to use
the patent is important because if the fee was "a dollar and a peppercorn"
to US companies but $20,000 for a foreign corporation then it would be
quite clear why the technology was patented in the first place.

Also, the notion that a patent costs $10K or $20K to obtain and $10K to
maintain is simply not accurate.  My experience with a patent firm for my
random number generator (patent pending with response to first action of PO)
was about $5500 which involved many detailed electrical circuit diagrams
and did not involve foreign protection.  (Foreign protection is sometimes
overkill because all it means is that a foreign company could sell it overseas
but not in USA, usually the main market anyway.)  NOTE:  my patent was a
private labor, having nothing to do with my employer.

Hope this helps.  BTW, are there any patent lawyers out there to jump in?

Colin James III
BLM, DSC, Bldg 50, SC-342D, Denver, CO  80225;  (303) 236 - 5897

"Nine miles sliding on a ten mile ride;
hot as a pistol, but cool inside."
  Lyrics from He's Gone (ie Niel Cassady) by Robert Hunter
                                          (songwriter of The Grateful Dead)