From: munnari.oz.au!cs.mu.OZ.AU!munta.cs.mu.OZ.AU!fraser@uunet.uu.net  (Fraser
Subject: Semantics Question
Date: 6 Jan 93 01:23:34 GMT	[thread overview]

Hi.  I have a small question regarding exceptions, the answer to which
I couldn't find in the ARM.  Basically, what happens if you raise a
local exception, but don't handle it before the end of the block in which
it is declared.  Like this:

procedure p is

  procedure q is
    e : exception;
  begin
    raise e;
  end q;

begin
  q;
end p;

Is the result defined somewhere, or not?  If there are handlers in
subprograms that call p, and they handle any exception (ie, with an
others clause), will they catch e?  Should the program abort as soon
as it leaves e's scope?

Thanks in advance,
Fraser.
Can death be sleep, when life is but a dream  | Fraser Wilson,           < /
And scenes of bliss pass as a phantom by?     | Melbourne University     _'
The transient pleasures as a vision seem      | fraser@cs.mu.OZ.AU      //
And yet we think the greatest pain's to die.  | Phone - +61 3 344 7877 // NZ!