From: Adam Beneschan <adambeneschan@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Can .ads be compiled alone?
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 08:50:43 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2014-11-07T08:50:43-08:00	[thread overview]

On Thursday, November 6, 2014 9:21:38 PM UTC-8, moixa wrote:
> Newbie question.
>
> I have only two files, machinery_1_3.ads [1] and machinery_1_3.adb [2], in some directory, when I `gnat compile machinery_1_3.ads`, it told me compile error, (but no further information).

Did it actually say "compile error"?  I get a very different message when I try it, and that message *is* further information.  Specifically, I get this:

  cannot generate code for file machinery_1_3.ads (package spec)
  to check package spec for errors, use -gnatc

When asking a question (either here or on StackOverflow), it's very helpful to include the exact message you're getting when asking about an error.  The error message (and/or warning message, and/or exception message, and/or stack trace) is very useful information, and I cannot understand why so many questioners (especially on StackOverflow) omit this information when asking for help.  (And, in some cases, won't provide it until people ask multiple times.)

                                -- Adam