From: "Juergen Pfeifer" <juergen.pfeifer@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Where is the Ada for LINUX Team site?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 21:33:10 +0100
Date: 2000-12-22T21:33:10+01:00	[thread overview]

> > and I hope that we'll move this forward to a system where Ada
programmers
> > can use some kind of wizards to produce their own ALT compliant RPMs.
>
> ALT compliant RPMs in this case is about the fact that
> RPMSs of sw written in Ada must be packaged in a certain
> way to allow run-time linking with the shared-libraries
> in gnat-*-runtime.

Actually it means a bit more. It means that an authors RPM should fit into
the dependency tree of ALT packages, that it relocates the same way
the current ALT packages can do (note: all ALT packages are designed
to be relocatable, i.e. you may use --prefix as rpm option to install it in
a user defined location; this is a prereq. for non-root installs).
Moreover the software in the package should follow the ALT directory
scheme where to store the packages and the objects.

The software in the package itself need not to care about being build
as shared lib or not.

The only real difference wrt. to a shared runtime is, that we changed
the default behaviour of GNAT. Also ACTs version on Linux supports
a shared runtime, but the default is to link statically.

IMHO ALT compliance is therefore more related to package organisation
and overall coherence of the ALT packages and not so much about
the shared runtime default.

The idea behind all that is to allow you to install an ALT package and
just use it without any further configuration, environment settings etc.
Everything fits together.

J�rgen