From: defaria@hpclapd.HP.COM (Andy DeFaria)
Subject: Re: Ada Productivity (Was: Mindless Transitions!)
Date: 21 Dec 90 17:19:09 GMT	[thread overview]

>/ hpclapd:comp.lang.ada / kmccook@LOGDIS1.WR.AFLC.AF.MIL (GS-09 Ken McCook;SCDD) /  5:16 am  Dec 18, 1990 /

>I am an Ada proponent. I recognized and agreed with all the benefits
>when I was first introduced to the lady, however, as I learned more
>I found that I and others like me all over the gov't didn't have the
>skills to write info systems from scratch.

Not intended as  a flame but  who had the  skills to write the systems from
scratch in the first place?  I understand you  to really  mean that to you,
and  the others, Ada seems  too difficult to learn and  use to produce info
systems from scratch.  Yeah there are some new  constructs and concepts but
I'm sure that if you take someone off the street with  a little exposure to
programing (only one college FORTRAN class) and give them a little training
in COBOL, tell them that there job is to  now  create  a large  info system
from scratch using COBOL, that his attitude would  be  the same as yours "I
can't do that!".  Give it some time.  Learn the language better.   It's not
really that difficult (but it can be if you want it to).

>I agree with Jean Ichbiah's statement that the lack of an acceptable
>interface between Ada and SQL is the greatest impediment to the further
>spread of Ada.

We've got a Ada binding to SQL.