* Gnat ADA binaries for SGI/Irix
@ 2000-12-20 23:55 MJ Croft-White
From: MJ Croft-White @ 2000-12-20 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

As is annoyingly chicken and egg like, I need an Ada compiler for my
indigo2 machine - namely GNAT (cos it's free!), but I need an ada compiler
to compile the source, and hence I need a binary to get the ada compiler
in the first place! Hence the endless loop begins. Therefore does anyone
know where I can find a reasonably up to date binary for my SGI , I have
already tried the ftp sites and various searches have led to nothing for
the MIPS/SGI/Irix. If there isn't one I will have to use the communal
computer facilities in my department - uck!

Many thanks

Michael Croft-White

* Re: Gnat ADA binaries for SGI/Irix
@ 2000-12-21  7:22 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2000-12-21  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

MJ Croft-White <mjcw100@york.ac.uk> writes:

> As is annoyingly chicken and egg like, I need an Ada compiler for my
> indigo2 machine - namely GNAT (cos it's free!), but I need an ada compiler
> to compile the source, and hence I need a binary to get the ada compiler
> in the first place!

Which IRIX versions run on your Indigo2?  Recent ones come along with
a GNAT binary.

* Re: Gnat ADA binaries for SGI/Irix
@ 2000-12-21  7:40   ` Tarjei T. Jensen
From: Tarjei T. Jensen @ 2000-12-21  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florian Weimer wrote in message <87snni1bob.fsf@deneb.enyo.de>...
>MJ Croft-White <mjcw100@york.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> As is annoyingly chicken and egg like, I need an Ada compiler for my
>> indigo2 machine - namely GNAT (cos it's free!), but I need an ada compiler
>> to compile the source, and hence I need a binary to get the ada compiler
>> in the first place!
>
>Which IRIX versions run on your Indigo2?  Recent ones come along with
>a GNAT binary.

You need to elaborate on that. Where exactly is gnat located? I have checked
our Irix 6.5.9 files and none seem to contain gnat. I suspect you may be part
of a developer program and receive various tools automatically.

Greetings,

* Re: Gnat ADA binaries for SGI/Irix
@ 2000-12-21  7:57 ` Gerald Kasner
From: Gerald Kasner @ 2000-12-21  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

MJ Croft-White schrieb:

> As is annoyingly chicken and egg like, I need an Ada compiler for my
> indigo2 machine - namely GNAT (cos it's free!), but I need an ada compiler
> to compile the source, and hence I need a binary to get the ada compiler
> in the first place! Hence the endless loop begins. Therefore does anyone
> know where I can find a reasonably up to date binary for my SGI , I have
> already tried the ftp sites and various searches have led to nothing for
> the MIPS/SGI/Irix. If there isn't one I will have to use the communal
> computer facilities in my department - uck!
>
> Many thanks
>
> Michael Croft-White

If you want to have the public version, please use

ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/private/old

there are the binaries

gnat-3.11p-mips-sgi-irix5.3-bin.tar.gz

It seems that there are no newer public version exist.

But SGI distributes a version that seems not to be public,
the current version is SGI-Ada 1.4.1, which seems to be
something like gnat3.12. We have some university-license,
which includes Ada. (I guess that Ada is generally included
in university-licenses, but the people from SGI usually do
not install it because it is not used very often.)

There is also some other problem, the 64bit support in the
newer SGI-Ada versions seems to be disappeared. I recently
asked a question in gnatlist, but no response yet.

I would suggest to contact your seller, there is a separate
CD in the software, which includes the SGI-Ada compiler,
only if this fails, I would use the somewhat outdated version
3.11p from the site above.

Good luck !
-Gerald

* Re: Gnat ADA binaries for SGI/Irix
@ 2000-12-21  9:18     ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2000-12-21  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei.jensen@kvaerner.com> writes:

> You need to elaborate on that. Where exactly is gnat located?

Sorry, I've only installed IRIX from our software distribution server
at the university, and there was a GNAT distribution on it. ;-)

* Re: Gnat ADA binaries for SGI/Irix
@ 2000-12-21 11:26   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-12-21 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <87snni1bob.fsf@deneb.enyo.de>,
  Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> Which IRIX versions run on your Indigo2?  Recent ones come
> along with a GNAT binary.

No, that's wrong, it is a product in the price list, you have
to buy it to get the SGI version of GNAT (it comes as part of
some developer programs, including the academic program)

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

* Re: Gnat ADA binaries for SGI/Irix
@ 2000-12-21 19:50   ` MJ Croft-White
From: MJ Croft-White @ 2000-12-21 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Many thanks evreyone, although my university seem to have got the idea
that there sgi license is special - they won't even give out the simplist
things that I know they have a site license for! I don't think they know
what an sgi is let alone what they can and can't do with there software.
Anyway I only need a basic ada compiler as I have a course on it next
year. Usually I use Java or C, although hopefully once I have some kind of
binary I should be able to compile a newer version.

Again many thanks

Michael Croft-White