From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: Interface to C; Storage_Error
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 08:55:10 GMT
Date: 2000-12-20T08:55:10+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <91padu$572$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:

> That brings me to the second issue; pragma Import does
> essentially th same job as pragma Import_Valued_Procedure.
> Check the gnat docs, but it seems wrong to me that they are
> being used together.

I suggest that if you want to offer advice on GNAT specific
pragmas, you read the GNAT documentation, rather than guessing,
since a completely wrong guess (as in this case) simply
confuses people. One of the troubles with CLA is that a
high proportion of the advice here is plain wrong.

In this particular case, a cursory check of the GNAT
documentation would have found the sentence:

 Note that it is important to use this pragma in conjunction
 with a separate pragma Import that specifies the desired
 convention, since otherwise the default convention is Ada,
 which is almost certainly not what is required.

Incidentally the use of pragma Import_Valued_Procedure is
perfectly reasonable in this case, and it is not so easily
replaced  by pragma Import alone (that's why DEC invented
this useful feature for interfacing to C).

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/