From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT Error message
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 00:56:33 GMT
Date: 2000-12-18T00:56:33+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <3A3D01EA.37CB440B@libertysurf.fr>,
  Thierry&Annick <tajz@libertysurf.fr> wrote:

> test.ada:13:38: invalid operand types for operator "-"
> test.ada:13:38: left operand has type "Index_Type" defined
                                                at test.ada:2
> test.ada:13:38: right operand has type "Index_Type" defined

> Ok, my fault : Index_Type should be "range <>" to have a "-"
operator,
> but the error message is not clear.
Feel free to suggest how GNAT could make this clearer (and
submit your suggestion to report@gnat.com). I don't really
see any way of making this clearer.

The compiler is telling you that there is no "-" operator
defined that would apply to the types of the operands, and
then it tells you the types of the operands, so that you
figure out the real problem (which might be that you meant
to define a "-" operator but did not, or it might be that
you accidentally typed the wrong thing as one of the operands.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/