* GNAT Normalize_Pathname version differences
@ 2006-01-18 14:50 Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2006-01-18 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Posting this here for archive purposes to aid future Google Group
searches :-)

Somewhere between Gnat 3.15p and Gnat GPL 2005, the behavior of the
Normalize_Pathname function in Gnat.Directory_Operations changed.

The 3.15p version appended a '/' if the pathname was that of a
directory, at least in the Linux version, the GPL 2005 version does not.
  I can't say what it does on Windows, but I would expect the same
behavior, with the corresponding directory separator.

I diffed the sources of Directory_Operations for the two versions, and
saw there are significant differences between the Normalize_Pathname
implementations, as well as other things.

-- Marc A. Criley
-- McKae Technologies
-- www.mckae.com
-- DTraq - XPath In Ada - XML EZ Out

* Re: GNAT Normalize_Pathname version differences
@ 2006-01-18 20:22 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2006-01-18 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc A. Criley wrote:
> (Posting this here for archive purposes to aid future Google Group
> searches :-)
>
> Somewhere between Gnat 3.15p and Gnat GPL 2005, the behavior of the
> Normalize_Pathname function in Gnat.Directory_Operations changed.
>
> The 3.15p version appended a '/' if the pathname was that of a
> directory, at least in the Linux version, the GPL 2005 version does not.
>  I can't say what it does on Windows, but I would expect the same
> behavior, with the corresponding directory separator.
>
> I diffed the sources of Directory_Operations for the two versions, and
> saw there are significant differences between the Normalize_Pathname
> implementations, as well as other things.

Might it be because they are using GNAT.Directory_Operations to
implement Ada.Directories?

Cheers

-- Martin

* Re: GNAT Normalize_Pathname version differences
@ 2006-01-19 14:13   ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2006-01-19 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Dowie wrote:
> Marc A. Criley wrote:
>
>> Somewhere between Gnat 3.15p and Gnat GPL 2005, the behavior of the
>> Normalize_Pathname function in Gnat.Directory_Operations changed.
>>

> Might it be because they are using GNAT.Directory_Operations to
> implement Ada.Directories?

I didn't look in detail, but Normalize_Pathname changed significantly,
much more than would be attributable to just swapping directory
management packages.  I expect one could browse the CVS tree if they
were really interested in how it evolved.

-- Marc A. Criley
-- McKae Technologies
-- www.mckae.com
-- DTraq - XPath In Ada - XML EZ Out