From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: gnathtml in Ada ?
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:46:48 GMT
Date: 2000-12-12T15:46:48+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <3A35FEC3.7F525B27@zxblr2f.grbl>,
  Gautier <grounfxyz@zxblr2f.grbl> wrote:
> Ted Dennison:
>
> > It looks like it traverses the user's program library and html-izes
> > all withed units too. That may very well require OS support.
>
> For that I think the parameters given with "-o" options suffice: you
> add the prefix for searching files. At least the present version in
> Perl needs explicit paths. So (I think) you could do the library
> traversing in 100%-portable Ada.

Ahh. So the perl version didn't bother to solve this problem either? I
guess I should have expected a hack from a perl program. :-)

I suppose in a Gnat environment that would probably be acceptable,
because the compiler is typically invoked with the explicit search path
anyway. For other compilers that information is hidden from typical
users. Knowing the directories a unit is in isn't very helpful anyway,
as you still don't know what *file* it is in. It would be nice for users
of Averstar-FE compilers if it would just read the unit.map file.

Is the perl version smart enough to check the gnat.adc file for
alternative unit name mappings?

I suppose you might be able to make it somewhat compiler-portable by
using ASIS. But since not everyone supports ASIS, that won't get you all
the way there. However, I suppose support for ASIS will only become
universal when there is a large suite of useful ASIS tools, so the best
line may be to just go with ASIS and let users left out in the cold
complain to their vendors.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/