From: Vincent Marciante <vincent.marciante@l3harris.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT: no visible subprogram matches the specification for "Put"
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 12:00:56 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2019-10-07T12:00:56-07:00	[thread overview]

On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 11:03:12 AM UTC-4, Stephen Leake wrote:

<snip>

> So your code should work. However, I've often had problems referring to them from outside the generic, and the problems seem to change with each version of GNAT. Note that this is not an intended use of the generic formal parameters, but it is sometimes useful (if it works).
>
> So I agree this is (probably) a compiler bug.
>
> The fact that signature_package_instance compiles is not relevant;

I just included the "test" of it to show the GNAT is allowing the
problematic procedure to be visible to the test procedure but not allowing
it to be visible to the spec of the re-exporter.

> it is not using the name of a generic formal parameter from outside the generic; it is only referring to them in the body of the generic, which is where they are intended to be used.

> One workaround is to put a rename declaration in the generic package:

Yes renaming is the workaround that non-posted code is using.

Thanks for having given you bug/nobug opinion. It will be easier for me to
justify bug submission to Adacore now.