From: SAHARBAUGH@ROO.FIT.EDU
Subject: Ada vs C++, Franz Lisp to the rescue?
Date: 21 May 91 13:18:00 GMT	[thread overview]

I have read with interest the BB conversations about Ada vs C++.
I received by mail an advertisement for Franz Lisp. It says, among other things:
"if you're trying to develop complicated
applications with C++, you're working too
hard. It's a good introduction to object-
oriented programming, but it doesn't have
the built-in functionality of the world's
most advanced OOP tool: Allegro CL Common
Lisp with CLOS."  It goes on to mention
Multiple inheritance, custom facilities,
persistent storage, object-oriented
databases, dynamic redefinition of classess
and methods, generic functions and says
"(it) is the most powerful object-oriented
programming language available today."

Vendors are expected to overstate the worth
of their product, the legal term is "puffing",
BUT are we missing something by not discussing
Franz Lisp in the same context as C++ when
discussing the "vs Ada" language issue?

sam harbaugh saharbaugh@ROO.FIT.EDU