* Open Ada (formerly AdaZ) for the Apple Macintosh
@ 1991-01-27 17:51 Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1991-01-27 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have received confirmation from Jim Smith of Meridian that Open Ada for
the Apple Macintosh will be available Feb. 1 for $149.00. This is their
MPW-based Ada system, which comes with a binding to the Mac Toolbox.

I am not sure of the details that will distinguish the $149. system from the
"full-priced" version, but my impression is that the only distinction will
be a memory limitation comparable to the real mode/extended mode distinction
on the DOS version of the system.

I have not yet seen this release of the system, but based on my experience
with previous versions of it, performance is comparable to that of the DOS
version. It's a little slow on my Mac+, but then again a Mac+ is a bit slower
inherently than a PC/AT.

Please don't take this blurb as an ad for Meridian. I speak only for myself
in saying that I think we are on the right track to a viable mass-market
Macintosh Ada system, and this is important for the widespread acceptance
of Ada. It's about time somebody did this.

Mike Feldman

* Amiga Ada ... was (Open Ada......)
@ 1991-01-27 22:47 ` (George C. Harrison) Norfolk State University
From: (George C. Harrison) Norfolk State University @ 1991-01-27 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <2637@sparko.gwu.edu>, mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:
> I have received confirmation from Jim Smith of Meridian that Open Ada for
> the Apple Macintosh will be available Feb. 1 for $149.00. This is their
etc.

This has been posted on this group at least two times, but being a pain, I will
do it again:

Does anyone know of any companies developing Ada compilers for the Amiga either
under Amiga-DOS or under Unix V v.4 for the new Amiga 3000UX?

Truth, rumors, outrageous rumors, etc. are welcome.  We are considering an
Amiga UX lab for low-end workstations and would like to have at least some of
these running Ada.

George

-- George C. Harrison -------------- || -- My opinions and observations --
---|| Professor of Computer Science  || -- Only. -------------------------
---|| Norfolk State University, ---- || ----------- Pray for Peace -------
---|| 2401 Corprew Avenue, Norfolk, Virginia 23504 -----------------------
---|| INTERNET:  g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu ---------------------------------

* Re: Amiga Ada ... was (Open Ada......)
@ 1991-01-28  3:25   ` jeffrey schweiger
From: jeffrey schweiger @ 1991-01-28  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <548.27a3202c@vger.nsu.edu> g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu writes:

>This has been posted on this group at least two times, but being a pain, I will
>do it again:
>
>Does anyone know of any companies developing Ada compilers for the Amiga either
>under Amiga-DOS or under Unix V v.4 for the new Amiga 3000UX?
>
>Truth, rumors, outrageous rumors, etc. are welcome.  We are considering an
>Amiga UX lab for low-end workstations and would like to have at least some of
>these running Ada.
>
>George

I know of at least two initiatives in this area.  Oxxi software (an Amiga
software publisher) has stated that they are working on an Amiga Ada compiler
(native AmigaDos mode as far as I know).  This may be the same one or a
different one than a rumor I picked up regarding Martin Taillefer (sp?) working
on an Amiga Ada compiler (Martin was largely responsible for the M2S Modula2
compiler for the Amiga).  In addition, according to Randy Brukardt, in an email
exchange I had with him, R.R. Software (Janus Ada), is considering producing
an Ada compiler for the Amiga.

The SVR4 run on the new Amiga 3000UX is supposed to be ABI compliant, so I
imagine an Ada compiler for this mode will be forthcoming.

Jeff Schweiger

Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

* Re: Open Ada (formerly AdaZ) for the Apple Macintosh
@ 1991-01-28 16:31 ` Bud Bach
From: Bud Bach @ 1991-01-28 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:

>I am not sure of the details that will distinguish the $149. system from the
>"full-priced" version, but my impression is that the only distinction will
>be a memory limitation comparable to the real mode/extended mode distinction
>on the DOS version of the system.

Mike, I too called Meridian about this.  I talked to a guy named
"Mike" (maybe it was "Mark").  I specifically asked about limitations
and was told that there were none.  Its supposed to be an upgrade to
thier previous Mac version that sold for ~$2K.  I think he said it
will be v4.1.

Meridian is on the net.  Why are they so quite?  Perhaps they don't
get news....

-- Bud

--
Bud Bach - Consultant				c/o Motorola
708 632-6611					Cellular Infrastructure Group