From: wdence@NSWC-WO.ARPA (Walter Dence)
Subject: Stability for Embedded Applications?
Date: 13 Jan 91 02:10:58 GMT	[thread overview]

Stability for Embedded Applications?

     Last year we let a contract for a system of several units,
some of which contain 80286 CPU's.  We required Ada and the
contractor purchased and is now using an Ada cross compiler.  Now
we are preparing to receive the system and are purchasing a cross
compiler and an in-circuit emulator "identical" to his for
evaluation and maintenance of the system.

     A stub has just come to my desk for $37,000.00.  Our host is
to be an 80286 machine.

     But, the shocking price is not my only concern.

     The software purchased by our contractor was validated under
the 1.10 Ada validation suite.  That compiler is not on the Jan
91 Ada validation list.  Should we buy a 1.10 compiler?  Is it
now for sale?  Is it Ada anymore?  Should our contractor upgrade
his to 1.11?

     We expect to test and validate this system over a period of
many years.  Then it will be maintained, modified, and upgraded
for many more.  Possibly 25 years or more.  Will the 1.10 product
be available for 25 years?   Will it be Ada now that it is off of
the validation list?  Should we upgrade with each new validation
suite?  What about our expensive field testing and laboratory
testing?  It now looks like we may go through 40 Ada validation
versions over the life cycle of this system.  Will Ada ever hold
still long enough for us to validate and certify our system?
Will our Ada vendor be in business?  Will he still be
revalidating for cross compilation to an 80286?  (With his
pricing, I have my doubts.)  How much will he be charging for
each upgrade to his $37.000.00 PC-based compiler?

     I have studied, followed, and advocated Ada for 15 years,
and now at last my organization has committed to it.  But, now I
feel like a fool.  People look me in the eye now and ask, What
happened?   Where is the promised stability of Ada?  Our
compilers disappear with each Ada validation update list.
Assembly language and Turbo Pascal were our old workhorses.  They
were easy to use, affordable, and with PC's, very efficient,
effective, and stable.

    What do I do now?  What do I say?  What is Ada in view of the
disappearing compilers from the updated validation lists?  Where
is stability?  Can anyone explain or justify this?

    Why in the world do we all put up with all the problems of
Ada in this conference if it is not stable?  And how did things
go so wrong in our Ada community to result in this unbelievable
pricing for a compiler and in-circuit emulator on a very popular
industry-standard PC hosted onto a very popular industry-standard
target?

DISCLAIMER:  This is personal opinion, not official opinion.