* Design discussion for Ada "package manager" (online library)
@ 2016-02-18 23:42 Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2016-02-18 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

We've started to disscuss the design of an Ada project-manager. We'd love more involvement from the community, as I think thiss could be a chance to really show off Ada's strengths.

https://github.com/mosteo/alire/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue

* Re: Design discussion for Ada "package manager" (online library)
@ 2016-02-19  2:11 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2016-02-19  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Shark8" <onewingedshark@gmail.com> wrote in message
> We've started to disscuss the design of an Ada project-manager. We'd love
> more involvement from the community, as I think thiss could be a chance to
> really show off Ada's strengths.
>
> https://github.com/mosteo/alire/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue

I think I said more than enough on the topic here, and I need to do more
work and less community time. So I won't be joining your discussion now.
Hopefully someone will package up some of my thoughts for your discussion.

                                        Randy.

* Re: Design discussion for Ada "package manager" (online library)
@ 2016-02-19 17:18   ` Tero Koskinen
From: Tero Koskinen @ 2016-02-19 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

19.2.2016, 4.11, Randy Brukardt wrote:
> "Shark8" <onewingedshark@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> We've started to disscuss the design of an Ada project-manager. We'd love
>> more involvement from the community, as I think thiss could be a chance to
>> really show off Ada's strengths.
>>
>> https://github.com/mosteo/alire/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue
>
> I think I said more than enough on the topic here, and I need to do more
> work and less community time. So I won't be joining your discussion now.
> Hopefully someone will package up some of my thoughts for your discussion.
>
>                                          Randy.

I think one "problem" Ada community has, is the endless discussions
about what should be done.

I like the "Shut up and hack" mentality of (Open)BSD and how *BSD people
do stuff instead of just discussing about it.

For example, check Synth, package manager for *BSDs, written by John
Marino using Ada:
https://github.com/jrmarino/synth

Yours,
  Tero

* Re: Design discussion for Ada "package manager" (online library)
@ 2016-02-19 18:56     ` Shark8
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Shark8 @ 2016-02-19 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

While I agree that the Ada community tends to be a bit more deliberative, there are some serious problems with the "shut up and hack" mindset.

One of my former co-workers had the ability to do VERY quick coding, very useful for the "we need a [temporary] fix NOW!"-solutions... but even though he was quick, he often applied superficial 'solutions', like suggesting that CSV could be handled with string-splitting on commas.

For a community that generally wants to "do the right thing" (real software engineering), I think it's a good thing to try to find out what the right thing IS.

* Re: Design discussion for Ada "package manager" (online library)
@ 2016-02-20  0:19     ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2016-02-20  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, February 19, 2016 at 12:18:17 PM UTC-5, Tero Koskinen wrote:

> I think one "problem" Ada community has, is the endless discussions
> about what should be done.

One week of discussion for a community plan/effort is not what I call endless.

> I like the "Shut up and hack" mentality of (Open)BSD and how *BSD people
> do stuff instead of just discussing about it.

The hacking culture brought us exactly where we are; A computer driven society plagued with bugs.

-All my 'latest generation smartphones' suffered crazy episodes from time to time.
-The tech pipeline at my job is choking on me 3-4 times a day minimum.
-At home, my brand new installed debian box explodes at least once every two weeks.
-When my gnoga driven website behaves weird the problem ALWAYS comes from the client side (JS, C++ and friends)

What about "Death to hacking! Design then program."?

> For example, check Synth, package manager for *BSDs, written by John
> Marino using Ada:
> https://github.com/jrmarino/synth

1. Check the diagrams at the end of the readme... it makes up a design.
2. To me he looks more like a "navy seal" of programming than a "baroque proser using a computer".  https://www.linkedin.com/in/marinojr

my two cents.

* Re: Design discussion for Ada "package manager" (online library)
@ 2016-02-20  0:35       ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2016-02-20  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/19/2016 05:19 PM, Olivier Henley wrote:
> On Friday, February 19, 2016 at 12:18:17 PM UTC-5, Tero Koskinen wrote:
>
>> I like the "Shut up and hack" mentality of (Open)BSD and how *BSD people
>> do stuff instead of just discussing about it.
>
> The hacking culture brought us exactly where we are; A computer driven society plagued with bugs.

I'm not a fan of "Shut up and hack", either, but I think one can make a point
for "Shut up and design."

> 1. Check the diagrams at the end of the readme... it makes up a design.

This seems like an example of SUAD.

--
Jeff Carter
"You empty-headed animal-food-trough wiper."

* Re: Design discussion for Ada "package manager" (online library)
@ 2016-02-20  1:46     ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2016-02-20  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, February 19, 2016 at 12:18:17 PM UTC-5, Tero Koskinen wrote:
> https://github.com/jrmarino/synth
>
> Yours,
>   Tero

btw, thx for the reference.

* Re: Design discussion for Ada "package manager" (online library)
@ 2016-02-20 19:16       ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2016-02-20 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20.02.16 01:19, Olivier Henley wrote:
> What about "Death to hacking! Design then program."?

Balancing all of this is what makes consulting work (in many senses).

--
"HOTDOGS ARE NOT BOOKMARKS"
Springfield Elementary teaching staff

* Re: Design discussion for Ada "package manager" (online library)
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-02-21 11:13     ` Alejandro R. Mosteo
From: Alejandro R. Mosteo @ 2016-02-21 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Linus dixit: https://lkml.org/lkml/2000/8/25/132

> For example, check Synth, package manager for *BSDs, written by John
> Marino using Ada:
> https://github.com/jrmarino/synth

That project looks great, thanks for the pointer.