From: Patrick <patrick@spellingbeewinnars.org>
Subject: Re: More Ganssle on Ada
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 07:08:11 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2013-01-18T07:08:11-08:00	[thread overview]

I am happy to hear there is an ARM port coming, although who knows if it will still cost 20K...

The answers in this article were pretty wacked and disheartening. I really hate C but that does not mean people are not writing terrific code with it. Slamming it because it's old is just stupid. Ada is about 30 years old now, so people could say the same thing about it. The "recommended" languages mentioned are themselves written in C.

Another thing that has been touched on... is Ada only for life critical applications? Adacore seems to think so. Why NOT build a telephone application in Ada. I am learning Ada because it's a feature rich, sensible language not because I am worried about killing people by accident.

Adacore has to chaise profits, I don't blame them for being slow to support certain hardware targets and such but they should represent the language better. If people believe this crap there will be a whole subset of tinkers and novice programmers that will pass over the language and when their dreams reach fruition their projects will not be using Ada, even though it may have been the best tool for the job