* GNAT GPL 2014
@ 2014-05-06 20:13 Martin
From: Martin @ 2014-05-06 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://libre.adacore.com teasing with a 2014 banner but no sign of the 2014 configurations yet on the download page...

* Re: GNAT GPL 2014
@ 2014-05-13 16:48 ` Martin
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Martin @ 2014-05-13 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:13:13 PM UTC+1, Martin wrote:
> http://libre.adacore.com teasing with a 2014 banner but no sign of the 2014 configurations yet on the download page...

And it's now out!! Form an orderly queue... :-)

* Re: GNAT GPL 2014
@ 2014-05-13 17:05 ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2014-05-13 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:13:13 PM UTC+1, Martin wrote:
> http://libre.adacore.com teasing with a 2014 banner but no sign of the 2014 configurations yet on the download page...

Kinda disappointing they have included Android or iOS targets...or have they and I'm missing something?...

-- Martin

* Re: GNAT GPL 2014
@ 2014-05-13 17:08   ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2014-05-13 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:48:25 AM UTC-5, Martin wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:13:13 PM UTC+1, Martin wrote:
> > http://libre.adacore.com teasing with a 2014 banner but no sign of the 2014 configurations yet on the download page...
>
> And it's now out!! Form an orderly queue... :-)

Thank you, Martin!

Does anyone have any guidance on building GNAT GPL-Edition 2013 (or, better yet, GNAT GPL-Edition 2014) from source?

There is this for GNAT GPL-Edition 2005:  http://ada.krischik.com/index.php/Articles/CompileGNATGPL?from=Articles.CompileGNAT, but worse than being possibly stale content with respect to the GNAT source, it has broken links to his 2 scripts that are Martin Krischik's main teaching there, making the potential staleness moot.

* Re: GNAT GPL 2014
@ 2014-05-13 19:08   ` Rego, P.
From: Rego, P. @ 2014-05-13 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:05:42 PM UTC-3, Martin wrote:
> Kinda disappointing they have included Android or iOS targets...or have they and I'm missing something?...

I will wait for the official release communication. They still did not put the avr-elf-windows in GPL 2014, and I still hope they will do it this year. I used to encourage my students to develop their applications in Ada using avr-elf-windows, but I had to stop this because avr-elf-windows was not included in GPL-2013. The gcc version used in GPL-2012 has a few very annoying bugs which were corrected in newer gcc versions, but were not included in avr-elf-windows in 2013.

Rego.

* Re: GNAT GPL 2014
@ 2014-05-13 19:25     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2014-05-13 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dan'l Miller" <optikos@verizon.net> writes:

> Does anyone have any guidance on building GNAT GPL-Edition 2013 (or,
> better yet, GNAT GPL-Edition 2014) from source?

You don't say what your target is?

I wrote up building a native compiler for FSF GCC 4.8.0 (and sone
earlier ones, too). You need to be sure to configure with --disable-nls
(or people with a non-English $LANG with get mixed-up compiler
error/warning messages).

GNAT GPL 2013 came with a library called gnat_util, and I'm guessing
that 2014 will too (it handles the units common to the compiler, ASIS,
and GNATColl). I made an equivalent for FSF GCC; the README at [2]
contains some useful hints.

[1] http://forward-in-code.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/building-gcc-480.html
[2] https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnatutil/files/4.9.0/

* Re: GNAT GPL 2014
@ 2014-05-13 20:10 ` dontspam365
From: dontspam365 @ 2014-05-13 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried to install GNAT Ada GPL 2014 and then PolyORB GPL 2014, without success-
on Windows 7 (64 bit).
When I start GPS i get the GPS 6.0.1 (20140113)
When I try gnatmake -v from Command Prompt I get:
  "GNATMAKE GPL 2014 (20140331)
   Copyright (C) 1992-2014, Free Software Foundation, Inc."

When I try to install polyorb-for-gnat-gpl-2014.exe I get the message:
"This installation of PolyORB requires GNAT Pro Ada Development Environment gpl-2014 to be installed, but it was not found on your system. Please install it before attempting to install PolyORB."

Anyone else tried this on Windows / Windows 7 ?

* Re: GNAT GPL 2014
@ 2014-05-13 22:04   ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2014-05-13 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13/05/2014 17:48, in article
9b878576-efa3-42ca-9614-ef67713ecd78@googlegroups.com, "Martin"
<martin@thedowies.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:13:13 PM UTC+1, Martin wrote:
>> http://libre.adacore.com teasing with a 2014 banner but no sign of the 2014
>> configurations yet on the download page...
>
> And it's now out!! Form an orderly queue... :-)

Type resolution in conditional expressions by GNAT GPL 2012/2013 was not all
it should have been.  E.g. I had to make the second 0 into a qualified
expression in:

   function XR (X : M.i04)
   return M.i64 is
   begin
      return (if X = 0 then M.i64'(0) else GR(X));
   end XR;

because GNAT could not otherwise deduce its intended type, even though GR(X)
and the expected return type are both M.i64.

I am happy to say this is now fixed in GNAT GPL 2014.

But, I still have to write this:

    for s in slice'Range loop
    exit when slice(s) = all_blanks_code;
       h := rotate_left(h, 2) + slice(s);
    end loop;

To avoid this:

    for s of slice loop
    exit when s = all_blanks_code;

>>> warning: variable "s" is not modified in loop body
>>> warning: possible infinite loop

       h := rotate_left(h, 2) + s;
    end loop;

So that bug remains.

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;

* Re: GNAT GPL 2014
@ 2014-05-13 22:15   ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2014-05-13 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 5:48:25 PM UTC+1, Martin wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:13:13 PM UTC+1, Martin wrote:
>
> > http://libre.adacore.com teasing with a 2014 banner but no sign of the 2014 configurations yet on the download page...
>

> And it's now out!! Form an orderly queue... :-)

Not a happy experience so far...

First attempt to install ran into problems (maybe my fat fingers?) but copying the 'root' install folder up the path, shortening it and making sure there were no spaces in the name (the unzip folder included a folder called "Mac Os X") and 'sudo ,/doinstall' seemed to do the trick.

Now starting GPS just results in the 'splash screen' showing and getting no further...

...about to delete my /usr/local/gnat folder and try again...maybe it was because I didn't uninstall GPL 2013?

-- Martin

* Re: GNAT GPL 2014
@ 2014-05-13 22:22     ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2014-05-13 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:15:56 PM UTC+1, Martin wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 5:48:25 PM UTC+1, Martin wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:13:13 PM UTC+1, Martin wrote:
>

> > > http://libre.adacore.com teasing with a 2014 banner but no sign of the 2014 configurations yet on the download page...
>

> > And it's now out!! Form an orderly queue... :-)
>

> Not a happy experience so far...
>

> First attempt to install ran into problems (maybe my fat fingers?) but copying the 'root' install folder up the path, shortening it and making sure there were no spaces in the name (the unzip folder included a folder called "Mac Os X") and 'sudo ,/doinstall' seemed to do the trick.
>

> Now starting GPS just results in the 'splash screen' showing and getting no further...
>

> ...about to delete my /usr/local/gnat folder and try again...maybe it was because I didn't uninstall GPL 2013?
>

> -- Martin

Yup. that did it. Spash screen seems to linger all the time GPS is running but I can live with that, as it's behind the IDE.

-- Martin

* Re: GNAT GPL 2014
@ 2014-05-14  5:59       ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2014-05-14  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:25:11 PM UTC-5, Simon Wright wrote:
> "Dan'l Miller"  writes:
> > Does anyone have any guidance on building GNAT GPL-Edition 2013 (or,
> > better yet, GNAT GPL-Edition 2014) from source?
>
> You don't say what your target is?

long form:
As my paternal grandmother always said "Beggars can't be choicey." or as my maternal grandmother always said "Beggars can't be choosers."  Please take your pick :-).   I am most interested in {ARM iOS cross-compilation, ARM WinRT cross-compilation} and I am almost nearly as interested in {x86 MacOS X.10, x86 Windows 8.1} but quite honestly any comprehensive intellectually-well-informed guidance on any more-distantly-related target (e.g., Linux for x86) would be insightful enough to accomplish much benefit to my 4 intended targets.  [I realize that arm-apple-darwin is in disarray in drastically-post-4.2 GCC and that the MinGW-w64 build-out of ARM WinRT is rather far from completion and neither adopted by AdaCore's GPL Editions until quite some time in the future--hence my open-minded ecumenicalism-in-translation toward guidance in building modern GPL Editions for distantly-related targets.]

short form:
Any guidance would be most appreciated. :-)

* Re: GNAT GPL 2014
@ 2014-05-14 14:03     ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2014-05-14 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13/05/2014 23:15, in article
196bb53a-f1d9-4b32-8962-4dc2c6d93b05@googlegroups.com, "Martin"
<martin@thedowies.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 5:48:25 PM UTC+1, Martin wrote:
>> On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:13:13 PM UTC+1, Martin wrote:
>>
>>> http://libre.adacore.com teasing with a 2014 banner but no sign of the 2014
>>> configurations yet on the download page...
>>

>> And it's now out!! Form an orderly queue... :-)
>

> Not a happy experience so far...
>
> First attempt to install ran into problems (maybe my fat fingers?) but copying
> the 'root' install folder up the path, shortening it and making sure there
> were no spaces in the name (the unzip folder included a folder called "Mac Os
> X") and 'sudo ,/doinstall' seemed to do the trick.
>
> Now starting GPS just results in the 'splash screen' showing and getting no
> further...
>
> ...about to delete my /usr/local/gnat folder and try again...maybe it was
> because I didn't uninstall GPL 2013?

I had to run under sudo, after cd'ing to the target install directory.
I have left GNAT 2013 installed for the time being, but have no interest in
GPS and have not tried to run it.

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;

* Re: GNAT GPL 2014
@ 2014-05-15  0:35       ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2014-05-15  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:22:15 PM UTC-7, Martin wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:15:56 PM UTC+1, Martin wrote:

> > First attempt to install ran into problems (maybe my fat fingers?) but copying the 'root' install folder up the path, shortening it and making sure there were no spaces in the name (the unzip folder included a folder called "Mac Os X") and 'sudo ,/doinstall' seemed to do the trick.
>

> > Now starting GPS just results in the 'splash screen' showing and getting no further...
>
> > ...about to delete my /usr/local/gnat folder and try again...maybe it was because I didn't uninstall GPL 2013?
>
> > -- Martin

> Yup. that did it. Spash screen seems to linger all the time GPS is running but I can live with that, as it's behind the IDE.
>
> -- Martin

I installed GPL 2014 on Mavericks OS X 10.9.2 even though the AdaCore site said that it is intended for Mountain Lion but things seem to be working as expected. The compiler works and GPS seems to work as well as it ever did including the incredible violence it does to the Mac interface which is why I don't use it. Didn't Felix have a partial fix for GTK apps so that at least we could copy and paste normally?

Jerry

* Re: GNAT GPL 2014
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-05-17 20:13 ` Charly
From: Charly @ 2014-05-17 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Dienstag, 6. Mai 2014 22:13:13 UTC+2 schrieb Martin:
> http://libre.adacore.com teasing with a 2014 banner but no sign of the 2014 configurations yet on the download page...

Hi,

I installed the GNAT GPL 2014 release on my Xubuntu x86_64 box, but I'm very disappointed about the new GPS IDE. It seems to be very buggy and crashes every now and then. Another problem: Selected text is't highlighted, so I don't see, which text is selected.
But the new complier seems to work well so I reinstalled the old 2013 GPS IDE and combined it with the 2014 compiler and hope this mix works.

Charly

* Re: GNAT GPL 2014
@ 2014-05-18 18:33   ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2014-05-18 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, May 17, 2014 9:13:37 PM UTC+1, Charly wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 6. Mai 2014 22:13:13 UTC+2 schrieb Martin:
>
> > http://libre.adacore.com teasing with a 2014 banner but no sign of the 2014 configurations yet on the download page...
>

> Hi,
>

> I installed the GNAT GPL 2014 release on my Xubuntu x86_64 box, but I'm very disappointed about the new GPS IDE. It seems to be very buggy and crashes every now and then. Another problem: Selected text is't highlighted, so I don't see, which text is selected.
>
> But the new complier seems to work well so I reinstalled the old 2013 GPS IDE and combined it with the 2014 compiler and hope this mix works.
>

> Charly

Python version conflict?

-- Martin

* Re: GNAT GPL 2014
@ 2014-05-20 17:41   ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2014-05-20 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin <martin@thedowies.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:13:13 PM UTC+1, Martin wrote:
>> http://libre.adacore.com teasing with a 2014 banner but no sign of the
>> 2014 configurations yet on the download page...
>
> Kinda disappointing they have included Android or iOS targets...or have
> they and I'm missing something?...
>
> -- Martin

Ios? Yer having a laugh right? That'll not happen unless you pay for it.