* Ada compiler for the Amiga???
@ 1990-10-11 15:58 Rick Morneau
From: Rick Morneau @ 1990-10-11 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently heard a rumor that an Ada compiler would soon
be available for the Amiga. Is this rumor true? Any info
would be greatly appreciated.

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
=  Rick Morneau            Idaho National Engineering Laboratory  =
*  mnu@nairobi.inel.gov    Idaho Falls, Idaho 83401               *
=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

* Re: ADA compiler for the Amiga?
@ 1992-01-14 18:56 Skip Sauls
From: Skip Sauls @ 1992-01-14 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <snughton.695396537@unix1.tcd.ie> snughton@unix1.tcd.ie (Shane Naugh
ton.) writes:
>While on the subject of ADA compilers, has anyone ever heard
>of one being available for the Amiga??
>I somehow doubt it myself, but you'd never know....
>
>E-mail me or follow up to this article.

I asked the same question a while back and got the response that at least one,
but maybe two developers were working on Ada for the Amiga.  Oxxi, was one of
the companies that were mentioned.  I too would love to have Ada on my Amiga,
but I am not exactly hopeful.  Part of the problem is that many Amiga owners
are "cheap" and there may be no market for an Ada compiler, which tends to
be rather expensive.  Oh well, one can only hope.

>Cheers,
>
>Shane.

Skip Sauls
skip@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu

* Re: ADA compiler for the Amiga?
@ 1992-01-14 21:31 Jeffrey M. Schweiger
From: Jeffrey M. Schweiger @ 1992-01-14 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

ton.) writes:
>While on the subject of ADA compilers, has anyone ever heard
>of one being available for the Amiga??
>I somehow doubt it myself, but you'd never know....
>
>E-mail me or follow up to this article.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Shane.

There are, at present, no validated Ada compilers for the Amiga, though there
have been rumors in the past of one in development.  At this time, though,
I know of no active development of an Amiga Ada compiler.  There is an Ada
syntax checker for the Amiga on Fred Fish disk 154.

Jeff Schweiger

Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

* Re: ADA compiler for the Amiga?
@ 1992-01-15  0:57 Travers Naran
From: Travers Naran @ 1992-01-15  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

skip@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu (Skip Sauls) writes:

>I asked the same question a while back and got the response that at least one,
>but maybe two developers were working on Ada for the Amiga.  Oxxi, was one of
>the companies that were mentioned.  I too would love to have Ada on my Amiga,
>but I am not exactly hopeful.  Part of the problem is that many Amiga owners
>are "cheap" and there may be no market for an Ada compiler, which tends to
>be rather expensive.  Oh well, one can only hope.

"cheap"? Oh yes, we all can go right out and buy $1200 compilers. :-) Not even
IBM users can afford that. Those compilers are ususally sold to corporations
and organizations that use them. And the Amiga is supposedly on a no-bid status
with SDI researchers so I'm sure there is a definite market for ADA compilers.
Travers Naran						| "I am NOT a merry
Mail address: naran@fraser.sfu.ca or naran@sfu.ca       |  man!"
Simon Fraser University, British Columbia, Canada	|    Lt. Worf,
Cmpt. Science student wanna-be				|    ST:TNG, "Q-pid"
Trekker, Leaper, Red Dwarf'er, Prober, etc.		|

* Re: ADA compiler for the Amiga?
@ 1992-01-15  6:16 Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1992-01-15  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

ton.) writes:
>While on the subject of ADA compilers, has anyone ever heard
>of one being available for the Amiga??
>I somehow doubt it myself, but you'd never know....

Your suspicions are correct, as far as I know. There's no Amiga compiler.

Mike

Michael B. Feldman                       co-chair, SIGAda Education Committee

Visiting Professor 1991-92               Professor
Dept. of Comp. Sci. and Engrg.           Dept. of Elect. Engrg. and Comp. Sci.
University of Washington FR-35           The George Washington University
Seattle, WA 98105                        Washington, DC 20052

mfeldman@cs.washington.edu               mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu
(206) 632-3794 (voice)                   (202) 994-5253 (voice)
(206) 543-2969 (fax)                     (202) 994-5296 (fax)

* Re: ADA compiler for the Amiga?
@ 1992-01-15 17:06 Travers Naran
From: Travers Naran @ 1992-01-15 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

.

>Whoa! A little perspective here. I think your info is outdated. True, there
>are no Amiga compilers, but academic pricing for PC compilers is ~$100.
>See Rich Pattis' recent post giving a survey of academic prices.

Sorry, but I missed it. But that is _VERY_ good news to hear! :-)
The reason being that Amiga software prices tend to be a lot cheaper than the I
BM
prices so I might be able to afford an Ada compiler. I got a hold of the origin
al
'tutorial' manual that was a prelude to the standards document (A thick sucker)
. The
mere specifications of the language and the constructs got me extremely excited
.
Inherited generic objects! Operator/Function overloading! The list goes on!! :-
)

@ 1992-01-15 17:07 Richard Pattis
From: Richard Pattis @ 1992-01-15 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have had student who bough PC or Mac emulators for Amigas, and then run
PC/Mac Ada compilers. Of course there is a big performance hit, but at least
you can do it.

Rich Pattis

  Richard E. Pattis			"Programming languages are like
  Department of Computer Science	 pizzas - they come in only "too"
    and Engineering			 sizes: too big and too small."